𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛.

"I don't like the way he's looking at ya." Daryl mumbled from beside Autumn. He continued to glare at Aaron unsmiling.

Whenever Aaron spoke, he sent quick glances at Autumn with a weird grin on his face. It triggered Daryl even if it didn't with Autumn. A strange feeling of uncertainty filled her as she watched him. Her expression was skeptical as she observed him lean back into the chair he was sitting in.

Gabriel was also sitting back on his chair, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes studied Aaron's while Aaron's were glued to the wall, filled with discomfort.

"If you three are insisting you aren't a part of any group and are struggling with surviving," He cleared his throat. "What were you surviving on? Where did you stay?" He questioned.

"We were barely surviving, Sir. If there were buildings near us, we would scavenge them and stay the night. We never stayed in a specific place." Avery avowed, glancing around the room.

Autumn pushed herself off the wall and spoke, "What are you three?"

Matt, Aaron, and Avery's heads turned towards Autumn at the same time. Avery's facial expressions were soft and gentle, Matt's almost dreamy, and Aaron's suggested a stolid character. Autumn squinted her eyes waiting for an answer. Aaron rubbed his eyes and sat up, peering at her.

"Friends." He answered easily.

"How?" She shot back while walking towards him.

"We worked together before the whole situation." He replied once again.

Autumn moved in front of him and leaned down. "How did you three make it out together?"

Aaron bit his lip and leaned back against the chair, gazing up at her for a long time. He was quiet long enough to rouse her interest, and she glanced down to determine the cause of his silence. He was scanning her intently before giving her a response.

"We were at work when it happened. We were with a few people-" He glared at Autumn. "But they unfortunately died. Does that answer your question, Autumn?"

Autumn raised her brow at the sudden change in mood. She stood up straight, but something caught her attention. He smelled great, almost familiar. It caught her so off guard, her mind made up its own response. He smelled like the candle that was lit in her house. Realization crossed her features and with it another flash of anger.

"Why do you smell like that?" She whispered, focusing on him and only him.

He didn't reply but chose to stare at her.

"Why!" She shouted, banging on the table.

Autumn somehow pushed the table aside and put a knife to his throat. Aaron raised his hands in a sign of peace. The grin faded and he started to look frightened. Daryl grabbed her arm, pulling her in another direction. Autumn tried to get out of his grasp until she realized it was worthless.

"What the hell are you doing?" He questioned, letting her go once outside. She turned her face away from him and slid her knife into her pocket.

"Last night my candle got downstairs without me lighting it, Daryl." She rasped, sniffing from the cold air hitting her nose.

Daryl tilted his head in confusion.

"I also was downstairs last night, and someone was inside my house. I tried confronting Negan about it, but he says it wasn't him. Aaron smells like my candle. He was who I saw." She insisted, more like convincing herself than Daryl.

"Autumn, maybe you just didn't get enough sleep." He suggested. She groaned in exasperation.

"I'm telling you; I have a bad feeling about them." She spoke.