t w o - candy's confectionaries

Depuis le début

After school I walked to Candy's, where she was already waiting for me.

"I was thinking we should build a uniform. What do you think? Give Candy's a look?" She asked me, immediately as I stepped over the threshold.

"Oh, well what were you thinking exactly Miss Candy?" I asked her curiously. Leaving my book bag behind the counter and tying my apron around my waist.

"Well, definitely something pink... or blue maybe. Or yellow. Or white, because you know white is a lovely color." She continued her rambling and I couldn't help but giggle.

"Miss Candy? How about we choose a main theme color and work from there? Seeing as the shop is already quite pink, why don't we stick to white and maybe a powder blue? The walls are polka dot, so you could try a pinstripe theme? Then its polka dots and stripes."

She seemed to like the idea, telling me we should close the shop up early that next Saturday so that we could go hang around the mall for a bit. She also informed me that she was interested in hiring another waitress. She always had to do the baking, so it would be helpful if she didn't need to be on the floor as well.

After my shift my mom picked me up, enlightening me that we were heading to the mall to buy me a new outfit for tonight's dinner. A tee and jeans just simply wouldn't cut it.

And that is how I ended up in a mall all afternoon, searching for a dress that would fit my curvy size. I went into every plus sized store that I could find, eventually I persuaded my mom that I knew the perfect store and she let me be, going to do her grocery shopping.

I stared at the people in the food court, munching on their takeaways, chilling with friends. Sighing, I got to my feet, walking to the next shop of hope killers. The worst part of shopping was the way the shop's assistants stared at you while you're looked through their items, then they would gawk when you picked a size.

The last shop I swore I would go into wasn't as busy as I expected. The background music had an upbeat tempo, making this feel like one of those corny shopping scenes you see in movies. I swiftly made my way right through the store, eyeing the different materials. Then I saw it.

It wasn't super fancy but it was pretty and simple. My finger trailed over the blue cotton fabric, should I try it on? Would it fit? I cautiously picked my size off the rack, making sure nobody sees me I slip into the fitting room.

I tug my shirt over my body avoiding my appearance in the mirror on every wall of the small cubicle. Carefully I picked up the dress, as if it were a bomb and slid it over my head.

I smoothed the material over my hips, gathering the courage to look at myself in the mirror. The cotton grazed my thighs, ending just before my knees. It hugged my waist, evening out over my stomach and breasts.

I turned my body in various angles, studying my image. I actually didn't look too bad. Of course I wasn't all of sudden super model sexy, but the dress made me look slightly smaller, thinner even.

"That will be $29.30" The red-headed shop assistant told me with a blank expression, she looked bored. I handed her a few dollar bills. She swiftly handed me back my change and a brown paper bag, the stores logo on the front, with my dress inside.

My mom insisted that I got shoes with the dress, after mumbling her approval, apparently my lace up sandals or worn out sneakers would not pass the inspection this time. I picked up a silver simple pair of ballet fats with a thin buckle for around my ankle.

When we got home my mom immediately resigned towards the kitchen, claiming she had too much to do in too little time and that it wasn't as easy as it looked and that we had to give her more credit for her housework and that we don't appreciate her. In other words, she was in a bad mood and taking it out on everybody.