Darling Charming

"Dad! Dad! Guess what! I did it!" I still gripped the miraculously not-bloody, sharp-as-can-be shiny metal sword in my hand proudly.

"No, Darling." The deep voice's words sent chills through my whole body. The feeling lingered like it knew what was coming next and wanted to stick around and watch.

"But I..."

"Damsels don't slay dragons." I knew that, I knew. But if no one else could slay the dragon... I couldn't just wait around. I thought he would be proud of me. All I'd ever learned was all he'd ever taught me- at least, indirectly. I thought it would make our family look even more admirable and honorable.

"I thought-"

"Right, you thought. Well, you'll be giving your brother the credit for this."

"But I-"

"You will never tell anyone this happened."

"Dad-"

"You will never tell anyone this happened." It was a demand, not a reminder. I guess I don't have a valid opinion, I'm worthless and irrelevant.

I sighed, knowing 'no' wasn't an option. "Fine..."

"It wasn't a suggestion. Don't you ever pull a stunt like this ever after again. Your mother and I will discuss the consequences later." And with that, my father took the sword and walked away. I knew I would never see it again.