Chapter 11 - A Day at the Park

It was a beautiful day out.

Ashton loved days when the sun was out—it wasn't too warm or too breezy, and the sun streamed through the window in his living room just right. His living room faced east, so sometimes when the clouds weren't in the way, he could watch the sunrise. Or at the very least, after he woke up in the morning, he would see the sun streaming through the window.

On gorgeous days like that particular morning, Ashton liked to be out of the house, indulging in his favorite hobby. He showered quickly, picked a comfy outfit, grabbed his stuff and left the flat. He set his course to Central Park, walking the 30+ blocks because taking the subway with a guitar strapped to his back made him anxious. People were vicious, and he'd had way too many nightmares about being late for the train and the neck of the guitar getting snapped off as he just barely made it through the closing doors.

When he travelled with his baby, his Alvarez, he took his chances above ground.

Central park was usually crowded, but Ashton knew where to go so tourists and artsy locals who were only there to take pics for The Gram were not in his way. He'd found, after a lot of trial and error, where to be left alone.

It took a little less than an hour for him to get to his newest spot. He'd stopped at a deli to get a sandwich so he could camp out for the entire day and not have to leave. When he found the perfect area, just off the trail and hidden by a large rock, he set his guitar down lovingly, swinging the other bag off his shoulder so he could set the blanket down and sit.

Ashton's real passion was music. Ever since he was in middle school and his uncle had given him a beginners guitar, he'd been obsessed. He picked it up quickly and had run with it. Since then, he'd saved up for almost 2 years to be able to afford the guitar he currently had, an Alvarez Folk Acoustic Guitar, sunburst pattern. It was a good couple hundred dollars, but it was money well spent, because for a midrange guitar, it had an amazing sound. It also had the acoustic/electric capability, so one day if he ever decided to play it someplace for an audience, he could plug it in to a speaker.

For now though, he made peace with playing outside, by himself. He wanted to get a degree in music business management, eventually. College was very expensive, and he had enough bills to pay just to keep living. His phone, his shitty flat that cost way more than it should, groceries. That's how it had taken him 2 years to get his guitar—almost everything he had went to bills.

But now he had his guitar, and he was happy. Just a simple afternoon in the park was all he needed to relax after a stressful week. The weather was gorgeous and nothing was going to stop him.

He removed the guitar from the soft case and sat down cross legged on the blanket, setting the guitar in his lap. He tuned it quickly; he played it often enough that it was never too far out of tune, and strummed a simple G chord, closing his eyes and letting the soothing sounds wash over him.

He always played this particular song first when he was out in the park enjoying the good weather. It was called "Sunshine", and it was such a pretty song. "See the sunshine, Just like the first time, Not just today, Not just tomorrow, Then now 'til forever and ever, See the sunshine, See the sunshine," he sang with his eyes still closed as he just felt the music. He lifted his head to the sun, a feeling of pure contentment and ease washing over him as he just existed. Playing guitar was surreal for him sometimes. He was able to almost detach from his body and just exist while he played. It was just him and music, Ashton and the guitar, a man and his voice. And it was lovely.

He played a couple more songs, mostly chill, coffeehouse-vibe type stuff, because he felt that suited his mood and the acoustic guitar. He wanted to eventually get an electric guitar, or even a bass one day. He knew how to play them (he'd spent plenty of time in music shops growing up, playing the display instruments until he got kicked out) but he just didn't have his own.