In a few more minutes, Emma heard a knock on her door. Then, Susan and Anastasia crept curiously into her bedroom.

"Dearest Emiline, are you well?" Anna asked in concern. "We are all missing your company in the dining room this morning."

"Yes," Susan agreed. "And your breakfast is getting cold!" Emma smiled and combed her hair with her fingers in a nervous way.

"I'm sorry!" she said. "But I couldn't come. My ankle is swollen." Susan gave her a pitying look, but a shadow of sudden disappointment darkened Anastasia's face.

"Oh, no!" she exclaimed. "You mean, you can't walk on it? Not even a little?" Emma felt awkward.

"I guess I could try," she offered. Susan shook her head.

"No, no! We don't want you to hurt yourself," the girl said with care. "We'll have one of the maids bring your breakfast up to you." Anastasia lifted a hand to her brow, thinking hard. At last, she let out a disappointed sigh.

"This is horrible!" she said quietly. "I had so many plans for today! We were going to a party! We were going to dance and then take a stroll!" As Emma listened, she felt awful. She had spoiled all of her friend's plans.

"Don't let me stop you!" she said hastily. "Just leave me here. I want you all to go and have fun! Really, I'll be fine by myself." Anastasia looked up at her hopefully.

"Are you sure?" she asked. Susan cast her cousin an angry frown.

"Anna!" she exclaimed. "What are you thinking? We can't really leave her all alone! That would be dreadful! You might be going to a party, but I'm not." She marched over to Emma's bed and sat down beside the girl. "I'm going to stay here and keep my friend company," she said decidedly. Then she put her arms around Emiline and hugged her tightly.

"But Susan, I know you would rather go," Emma objected.

"Would I?" Susan asked sarcastically. She laughed a little louder than a young lady should, allowing the country girl inside of her to shine out. "I would rather be out picking wildflowers in the woods! Believe me, I'm going to be very happy sitting right in this room with you." Anastasia's brow clouded with a frown, but she didn't say another word. Instead, she walked out of the room and called a maid to bring Emma's breakfast.

No matter how many times Emiline encouraged Anastasia to go to the party, the young lady refused. But, she couldn't give up on her plans entirely.

"I've come to a decision," she stated at last. "We can at least go down to the beach. You won't have to walk, Emiline. My Uncle will carry you, and then all you'll have to do is sit on a sand dune and look beautiful. Now, come, come, I'll get you ready." She and Susan busied around, helping Emma get up and dressed for the outing. Anna tried to offer the girl another stunning, but indecent sort of dress.

It made Emiline's heart feel sick with shame. She refused it very politely, and asked for something else.

"I could wear my Sunday dress," she suggested. "Mother made it for me and she's a very good seamstress!" Susan smiled brightly at the thought of Emma wearing her charming, country dress. Anna didn't look as happy.

"Yes, but...Emiline that wouldn't do at all!" she insisted. "Young ladies here dress in today's fashion. You don't want to look like a beggar, do you?"

"No," Emma answered, still feeling torn between pleasing her friends and doing the right thing. "But, do you have anything with a lacy collar and some puffed sleeves?" she ventured timidly. At the words, Anastasia looked relieved.