Chapter Thirty: The Call-

En başından başla

    "Ash? Who was on the phone...?" Nate asked me, a crease in his brow as he joined me by the door. I looked up at him just as I'd finished shoving my second trainer on.

    "I need to get to St. John's hospital, now." I said, already heading for the door. Nate grabbed my arm to stop me. I fought against it, thinking that he was going to try and hold me back. He couldn't stop me. I needed to be there. Logan was in trouble. Logan could be dying. 

    "Nate. Nate, let go, please." I panicked, pushing against his chest. 

    "Ash, just calm down! I'll take you there. It'll be a hell of a lot quicker than calling a taxi. Okay?" I relaxed for a moment at his words, nodding my head frantically, my eyes glued on his hand that was slowly releasing my arm. I waited as Nate grabbed his keys and we both headed down to the private car park. 

    I didn't take much notice of his car, except for the fact that it was black, before hopping into the passenger side. It felt like it took forever for Nate to drive out and onto the main road. The whole car ride, my leg was jumping up and down out of nerves. I couldn't take how long it seemed to be from the hotel, to the hospital. It was like time was stretching itself out just to torture me.

    Nate didn't say anything, didn't even spare a glance as he kept his eyes trained on the road. It was like he was determined to get there as fast as he possibly he could. Like he knew how important Logan was to me. I couldn't even describe how important he was, but somehow it seemed Nate knew, anyway.

    The street lights reflected against the car window, merging into an orange blur as we sped past them. I didn't take in much of the scenery, I was too busy watching my own reflection. On the outside I looked reasonably calm. My brows were furrowed together and I did hold a small expression of worry, but that was nothing compared to what was going on inside my mind.

    I rested my elbow on the edge of the window, burying my hand in my hair and putting the weight of my head on it. I wanted to close my eyes, but I knew that all I'd see is a world without Logan. I thought we'd have longer. I never thought that one moment everything could be okay, and the next a complete disaster.

    I had everything. Logan was my everything, and now it was like it was just being snatched away. But then again, it wasn't like my grip was all that tight, was it? I should have been at Logan's side, but I wasn't. I was lounging around at Nate's, hiding from the problem. 

    "How long?" I asked Nate, looking towards him with impatience. 

    "Almost there, about five minutes." He replied, still not taking his eyes off the road. I nodded my head slowly and started counting down the seconds in my head. It was too long, though. Too fucking long. Five whole goddamn minutes. Counting sixty seconds out in my head for five times. Too fucking long. 

    But I didn't even reach the fifth time, as we arrived at the hospital car park. I told Nate to just stop and let me out, leaving him to park the car on his own. I wasn't about to spend even more time in the stupid vehicle, when I could be making my way towards Logan. 

    I didn't wanna let myself think about why he was in this place, avoiding the obvious. So I kept myself focused on the things around me. The smell of the place was causing my stomach to twist with nausea. 

    Everything was becoming more real to me. I was inside a hospital. This was really happening. What if this was it? What if it was all over tonight? I hated the thought. I wanted to escape it, but the possibility was staring me straight in the face. 

    My eyes searched for the sign that read 'Reception', running towards it when I'd spotted it's position. There was a petite girl, who barely looked far into her twenties, sitting at the desk. She had her blonde locks all pulled up tightly into a bun, atop of her head. Greeting me with a warm smile.