Chapter Three

"Where have you been all night?" The rasping voice of Queen Mab sounded in his ears when he entered the throne room. There, the Queen of the Unseelie sat in her regal gowns. Her black crown adorned her head. Her curly black hair flowed like a cape around her body as she stood up. Stuart remained kneeling on one knee in front of her. His head was bent to hide the faint pain that he still felt.

"I was away. No cause of concern." He spoke plainly. He could feel her sharp eyes, like daggers look about him. He had stopped by his chambers to freshen up. He inspected himself well before coming to her.

Her mouth went to a hard line. She spoke his true name and asked again. He was compelled to speak the truth.

"I was injured by the shepherd who lives outside the woods. The woman there took care of me." He said, his teeth were clenched. He did not want her to know the truth.

"I will make him pay." Queen Mab hissed. She moved to walk past him.

"No. He was trying to kill something else. I flew in the way." He stood up to stop her. They stared at each other, neither of them would submit to step aside.

"The woman there, the one who works at the book shop and reads to you? She was the one who gave you aid?" She asked. Stuart nodded. He knew that he had said her name in his sleeping hours. Moaning it like a lover would.

"You have the heart of your mortal father." The queen said, staring up at him. He had grown taller than her for the mortal that fathered him was tall. The other features of the mortal father were prominent. His auburn hair, strong chin, with the spray of freckles across his face. His sharp cheeks, pointed ears and green eyes were from her.

She could forbid her son to never leave the woods again. To stay in the relatively safety of their castle. Yet, Queen Mab knew if she did, he would turn as grey and still as the statues in the gardens. He was her own child. He loved to be free to go as he pleased, and she would still allow it.

"Be more careful in the future." She said, turning her eyes away from him. He bowed slightly and step aside. Queen Mab stopped and glanced over her shoulder to him. "I am thankful she was there." She said no more and walked away.

*

Tessa prepared for the evening tea. She started to crumble up the biscuit but stopped. Would Stuart come tonight? If he did, would he be bird or man? The water to weaken the tea was already in his cup. She stared into it, looking for the answers to her question in the water. A rustle of feathers drew her attention to the window. Stuart, the raven stood on the table. Jumping down, Stuart, the man appeared.

"I guess I don't need to crumble up your biscuit." Tessa said, turning back to the kitchen counter.

"Or weaken the tea." Stuart said. He watched her. Her hands shook slightly. "Should I go?"

"No." Tessa turned back to him. "I just need to get use to the face that the raven I have share with every night for four years is really a Fae Folk. And that Fae Folks are real." She returned the water to the pitcher. She brought the tea tray over and sat it on the table. As she poured the tea, Stuart took off his cloak and laid it on the back of the chair opposite from hers. It was closer to her than the table where he always perched before. She handled him his tea, his fingers brushed against hers.

"So, should we continue with the story?" She asked after settling in her chair. She reached for her glasses.

"I would really like to know more about you. Your life in America." Stuart said, sipping from the cup.

"Oh. Well, it was not an eventful life. Rather dull really." Tessa said, sipping from her own cup. A troubled expression came across her face. "You don't mind being called Stuart, do you? I know that the Fae Folks have names that are secret. Just, is it okay to still call you Stuart?"

"Yes. I actually like it very much." He told her. A smile came across her lips.

Summer faded into the vibrant colors of Autumn. Still nightly, Stuart would come and visit with Tessa. She spoke about her life in America. She said it was uneventful. Yet, she lost her parents at a young age and without other family, she was placed in foster care until she aged out. She worked odd jobs and saved up her money to backpack around the British Isle. Autumn was her favorite season and she preferred books over the people she knew in the states. She was a bit wild in her youth with few tattoos to show for it.

There was tragedy as well. After losing her parents, she became suicidal without their love and support. Stuart traced the scars that ran vertical up her wrists. Next to each scar was a semicolon in blue. Blue was her parents' favorite color together. She did not have many pictures of them for the move to house to house. The ones she had were her treasure.

Stuart spoke about his life yet said nothing about his position in the court or his mother being his mother. He wasn't much older than her. He spoke more about his view of the world outside the woods. He found the village charming and lively. He loved to watch the mortals go about their day. They interested him so.

He did speak about the on-going feud between The Unseelie and The Seelie. A fight for control and power. Both sides equal and relentless.

He missed carrying her to bed. Now, when she grew too tired, she would walk him to the front door and bid him goodnight. Stuart always kissed her on the forehead. He dared not try to kiss her lips. There would be times he would see her lips trembling, tempting him to taste.

Tessa would have love nothing better to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him in for a kiss. She feared what his reaction would be. There would be such a look in his eyes that made her insides melt each time. Tessa did not know if it was a good thing to be attracted to a Fae Folk. He was actually half mortal but raised Fae.

"The creature that has been plaguing the farm is from the Seelie Court." Stuart told Tessa one night. The dog like Fae was known to steal farm animals and cause trouble. The Seelie Court, Tessa learned was not the helpful, kind Fae Folk that mortals believe them to be. It was all a mask to gain trust and take advantage of mortals. The Unseelie were more truthful and forthcoming in their distaste for humanity.