Chapter Two

In her dreams, the tall man with the sunlit kissed auburn hair was there. He held her close to him. His voice was British with a sweet tasting of Irish whispered in her ear beautiful things that made her melt. She could nearly feel his skin under her hands. He was handsome in an unworldly way. Oh, if only he existed in more than just her dreams.

Tessa woke in her bed without a clue on how she ended up there. Again, the book and her glasses were on the table the cups and saucers were washed and put away. Either Stuart could do all that with his little birdy feet or she was hell of a sleepwalker. She always leaned towards sleepwalking.

*

The Spring had turned to Summer and the village was busy with travelers and sightseers. The air still had a crisp feeling that Tessa loved. She lived in her sweaters. The tables and chairs outside the books shop were full of locals and traveler. All stopping in for a cup of coffee or a bit of tea. Several back packers found books that they were hunting for. They were amazed to find an American behind the register. The light of the day was much longer, yet those dark woods were still gloomy as ever.

"In those woods, The Unseelie live." A local man told a few back packers who wanted to explore. Every single local would discourage anyone from going to those woods. The travelers would never believe them, until Tessa spoke.

"I have lived here now eight years and there have been disappearances related to those woods. Fae folk or animals, I would advise to stay clear." It must be her American accent that made people listen.

At closing, Tessa caught herself looking to the woods. She did wonder if Stuart made his home there. A cute hollow of a tree where he would keep trinkets and things. She did not know. She found herself giggling about the idea would make for fun children's book. Climbing on her bike, she rode through the village that was still lively. She decided to stop in the pub to grab a bite to eat and talk a bit to the barkeep. Later, she took the long way home, watching how the sunlight played on the hills and houses.

"Kraa!" A sound above her caught her attention. A raven flew above her. The great bird swooped down to her eye level. She knew right away who they were.

"A race to the cottage?" She asked Stuart as she petaled faster. The bird flapped his wings and kept pace with her. Rushing through the gate, she nearly collided with Mr. Kelly who was standing in the driveway, shot gun in hand still. She turned the handlebars just in time.

"Mr. Kelly? What is wrong?" Tessa asked when she saw the gun after she stopped her bicycle.

"A large dog has been hanging about. It nearly got a lamb. I can't get a clean shot when I saw it." The shepherd said, his blue eyes scanning the landscape. "You keep yourself inside after dark. The beast could make short work of you too." Mr. Kelly adored his tenant and thought of her like a daughter.

The flapping of wings made Mr. Kelly look at a fence post. Stuart was eyeing the man with the gun. "Never have I seen a raven with green eyes. He be part of the Fae Folk, I say." Mr. Kelly said. He knew that Tessa had a raven for a friend, but never seen it so close.

"Are you telling me that you believe in all that?" Tessa said. Mr. Kelly had always been a straightforward man who never was about flights of fancy. Him even suggesting such a thing was a surprise to her.

"I have lived here, on the edge of those woods my whole life, Tessa girl. I have seen things creep along just in the tree line. If a sheep wanders in there, I don't go in after it." Mr. Kelly stared at the raven. Stuart stared back.

Tessa did not fall asleep reading her book that night. The hour was late, but she was still wide awake. The thought of the large dog and what Mr. Kelly said about the woods had place her on an edge. Stuart watched her clean the dishes and place them in their proper spots.