|03| The listener

"Nice to meet you, Raffaele," I greeted, allowing a subtle smile to grace my lips

"Nice to meet you, Raffaele," I greeted, allowing a subtle smile to grace my lips. Yet, an eerie tension hung in the air, and his expression contorted with confusion as he locked his gaze onto mine. "You are not from here," he grumbled in a low, gravelly voice.

I offered a meek nod, acknowledging his astute observation. "I just moved here," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper, as if afraid to disturb the menacing aura that enveloped us.

His eyes narrowed, their intensity magnified. "You don't go to the shop at this hour," he warned, a trace of urgency in his voice. "Never. Go tomorrow."

The gravity of his words seeped into my bones, sending a shiver coursing down my spine. I swallowed hard, a knot of unease forming in the pit of my stomach. What did he know that I didn't? Questions swirled within my mind, but fear stifled my ability to voice them clearly. "Oh, okay," I stammered, my voice barely a murmur, acknowledging his cautionary advice.

Desperate to unravel the enigma before me, I summoned the courage to probe further. "What are you doing here, Raffaele?" I inquired, my voice trembling ever so slightly. The weight of his silence bore down on me, amplifying the tension in the air.

Time seemed to stretch, elongating each moment until he finally broke the silence, his voice came with an inexplicable heaviness. "I'm hiding," he confessed, a flicker of vulnerability surfacing in his eyes.

With a swift motion, he snapped his toothpick, retrieving another from the box nestled within his pants pocket. His actions possessed an unnerving grace.

"Hiding?" I echoed, my voice barely above a breathy whisper. "From whom?"

His shoulders shrugged nonchalantly, as though the weight of the world rested upon them. A chilling ambiguity clung to his response, amplifying the air of danger that enveloped him. It was a wordless acknowledgment of the darkness that lurked in the shadows, a secret he dared not divulge.

Resigned to the enigmatic nature of our encounter, I exhaled a shaky breath. "Okay," I muttered, an undercurrent of unease tainting my voice.

"So," I began, my voice laced with a hint of intrigue as I gazed at Raffaele's enigmatic side profile, "what else do you do besides playing the savior for damsels in distress?"

He cast a quick glance my way, his gaze piercing through me like a predator assessing its prey. "You mean the guy with the hole in his cheek?" he retorted, a cryptic undertone coloring his words.

Confusion etched itself across my features as I met his gaze, my mind struggling to decipher his enigmatic remark.

"You mean to say that you saved that man from me?" I questioned, my voice tinged with a mix of curiosity and disbelief. The revelation washed over me, rewriting the narrative I had so hastily woven in my mind.

A mischievous smirk danced upon Raffaele's lips, an alluring darkness veiling his expression. "I believe it would have ended rather unfavorably for those men," he stated matter-of-factly, his voice a tantalizing blend of calm and smokiness. "The next move, I suspect, would have been to aim for their eyes with the key," he added, his words brushing against my senses with an intoxicating allure.