"Hey, it's ok, come here."

She hugged her emotionally adopted sister.

"Don't you dare blame yourself. My mom and I already went through this after the portal door got destroyed, and I am not allowing you to feel that bad. This is gonna be hard for us all, I know, so you cry all you want, but don't ever blame yourself for this."

They cried together up there, venting their anxieties till all was said and out there.

"Things are only gonna get worse for us, huh?" Luz laughed sadly.

"Probably. But we're always here for each other, ok? Don't be afraid to talk to me. I know what it's like to not wanna worry your significant other like that."

"I'm kinda feeling guilty that the start of your relationship got caught up in this."

"Don't be. We know what we're getting into. Besides, shared trauma is the most surefire way to grow closer."

Navalia wiped Luz's and her tears.

"We might not be fine now. Hell, we might not be fine for a while. But one day, it's gonna be ok. We're gonna try everything to get another portal going. In fact..."

"What?"

"I looked through my bag earlier. By some miracle, there was the bottle of portal void juice in there. If i use what I know about potions, I might be able to work something out. I need something from home. Something with meaning...!"

"Do you have something?"

"Come to the bathroom with me."

They snuck back in and quietly went into the bathroom.

"There should be some shiny shards in here. Get all the pieces you can find."

Within 7 minutes, they had 4 little bits of the ring that broke earlier.

"This could work. I have 3 chances for trials and experimentation, and one final product."

"Can I help? I don't care how, I just wanna do something if I can."

"Most definitely. I'm coming to you first if I need assistance. You got anything to put these in?"

Luz got her a ziplock bag. Navalia stored it with her portal void vial.

"This is good. It's good. It's progress. Hey. Look at me."

Navalia put her hands on Luz's shoulders.

"We got this. It's gonna be alright in the end. Probably not now, but in the end. And 'the end' doesn't mean a self sacrificing death, so don't get any ideas."

She laughed sadly and hugged her.

"Thanks, Valia. I do really see you as my sister, by the way. Always wanted one."

"Can't say the same, but I'm glad I got one anyway. Now go to bed."

Navalia went with Luz to bed, but she still didn't sleep. She sat up in her sleeping bag. Cthulhu crawled up her shoulder and stuck onto her cheek. She spoke in the lowest possible voice to him.