Chapter XVIII: Travesty

Start from the beginning

Naoto only turned back with another gaze of annoyance, "Being here with you two is torture! Figure it out on your own..." His leg lifts as he struggles to take another step forward. But, of course, Takemichi wasn't letting up. 

"You can't leave me here alone with her...!" He whined, "My heart will pop outta my chest...!! Are you trying to kill me or something, Naoto?!" The comment immediately makes Hinata blush with amusement. But neither man take notice.

"And you call yourself my 'best friend'!!" Takemichi whined, tugging more at Naoto's leg. 

The black-haired male is only flooded with more annoyance, "I'm not your best friend..." He grumbles, balling his fists as he withheld the urge to shout. Takemichi only pouts, "That's so mean...!!" 

Naoto looks over his shoulder, his patience now on a thin line, "LET GO OF MY LEG!"

"YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD!!" Takemichi dramatically cried out, once again making Hinata burst out into laughter. This time, Takemichi takes notice, turning over to Hinata with a brow raised.

"You're still the same old Takemichi." She affirmed, smiling from ear to ear. The comment only made Takemichi's eyes shimmer with hope. He now felt a wave of relief brush across his body as he gazed into Hinata's eyes. But then, they traveled down to something that dangled from her neck.

It was...a shiny four-leafed clover. 

'Wait...is that the one...that I gave her...?' Takemichi pondered, his jaw slightly open with surprise. But, before he could utter another word, Naoto sighed.

"Hey..." He spoke, "How about we go for a drive? Maybe that'll make it a little easier..." He weakly beamed, tilting his head backward as he awaited the pair's response. And as they both nodded, Naoto quickly directed them to his car, and with that, they sped off.

~.~

Nothing.

Absolute silence now filled the car...

The only noise that started to form was the sound of Takemichi's awful whistling...

This only drew Naoto mad as another vein popped from his cheek, 'This didn't make things any easier at all...' He thought, clenching his jaw as the grip on his steering wheel tightened. 

And as Naoto resumed his driving, Takemichi decided to peak at Hinata threw the rear-view mirror, basking in her beauty as his heart sped up even more. She looked so angelic, even when she was feeling awkward. But aside from that, he couldn't take his eyes off of the clover dangling from her neck. 

It had to be the necklace he gave her.

He saw no other reason for her to have something like it. 

But, for some reason, his mind wouldn't allow him to believe such a thing. Hinata? Still, being in love with him after 12 years? Such a thing felt almost silly— it was silly. 

'I'm sure she just bought a similar necklace later on... there's no way she'd still...— not after so long...' He pondered, covering his mouth as he hid the blush that dusted across his face. With that, he released a sigh, turning to Naoto as his lips parted.