Chapter II: Providence

[July 6th, 2005 - Wednesday]

~.~

'The important thing is not to stop questioning.'

'Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality.'

'It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day.'

'Though, one must remember that the mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.'

~.~

A cool breeze gently brushed against (Y/N)'s figure as she stiffly walked toward the campus of her middle school, skimming the pages of her book with an uninterested expression washed across her face.

Her shoulders lay hunched against the early morning's damp and cool weather as thoughts proceeded to race through her mind. The frustration eventually got so severe that she couldn't even bring herself to finish her novel in her hands; closing it shut with a strong scowl.

'Why am I so on edge today?' She pondered. 'Because I read some stupid letter that some creep probably gave me? I shouldn't even believe any of this crap. This is all so stupid...!' She sighs.

'And yet, here I am. Nervous and on edge. This is ridiculous.'

When (Y/N) finally arrived at the school's entrance, she glanced toward the name at the very front; relishing in the sight of the old, rusted label posted just next to the school's gate. 

"Mizo Middle School," it said. Not the best school (Y/N) had ever attended, but who's to say she should have a preference? After all, school is school.

A frown soon paints itself across her face as she steps forward, walking past the open gates with a heavy exhale.

'If I back out now, I'll never get that dumb note out of my head. As crazy as it sounds...I am curious about this "Sano Manjiro" guy.'  She pondered; staring down at her book as her eyes just glossed over its hardback cover.

'If he is the reason behind my "death" then it's better to confront him and ensure that there will never be any bad blood between us in the future.'

(Y/N) groans to herself as her subconscious hand plants itself to her forehead. 'What the hell am I even thinking?! Believing all of this 'time-travel' shit when I should be turning this letter in to the police...?!'

A lump forms in her throat. "Maybe I should just toss it out? Better yet, maybe tear it up?" She murmurs, reaching into the pocket of her pants as she felt around for the familiar paper, but once her fingertips just barely grazed it, a voice emerged.

"(Y/N)! Magandang Umaga (Good Morning)!" A cheerful voice called, their hands seemingly planted on (Y/N)'s shoulders with excitement as she greeted her friend in Tagalog. Their upbeat tone only brought a soft grin to the teen's face.

Upon turning around, she is greeted by a petite girl, around 5'2 tall, with navy blue bangs along with black hair in the back; her tanned skin also glistened in the sunlight and glowed just as brightly as her smile.

"Good morning, Althea. How are you doing today?" (Y/N) smiled; observing as her, quite energetic friend, Althea, walked from behind her to her right; seemingly beaming from ear to ear.

 "I'm perfectly fine!" She exclaimed, a toothy grin on her face. "I called out to you earlier, but you didn't respond." She suddenly pouted; leaning in close to examine the book in (Y/N)'s hands, a cheeky giggle escaping her lips.