Chapter IX: Ablution

~.~

"I thought to myself: I am wiser than this man; neither of us probably knows anything that is really good.

"But he thinks he has the knowledge, when he has not, while I, having no knowledge, do not think I have."

~.~

"I always wondered what it was about you guys that made me feel... out of the ordinary." (Y/N)'s lids lower, "At first, I thought it was my stupid conscience forcing itself to trust you guys. Then... I did feel as though I could at least try to get along with you guys... despite the trouble you'd get me into..."

Her eyes then close shut as she releases a low scoff, "what a fucking joke," she irks, "You guys and Toman have only shown me that it wasn't either of those things... In reality, it was rage..."

(Y/N)'s fists clench as her anger had suddenly begun to skyrocket, not an ounce of patience was left in the female's veins, nor could she take any more ignorant assumptions from the arrogant vice-commander. "Ever since I met you, bastards...?! You've done nothing but remind me of that day."

The entire room freezes with anticipation. Even Althea felt as though she could no longer intervene. "...—The day my entire life went to shit."

[August 14th, 2003 - Thursday]

"Come on, (Y/N)! Quit dragging your damn feet!" A much taller woman yelled; grinning from ear to ear as she frantically waved over toward a much younger (Y/N). The shorter girl groans, slowly attempting at picking up the pace in order to follow her oddly hyper sister.

"I'm trying! But these heels you got me in, really fucking hurt! Why'd you even make me get all dressed for some carnival anyway?" The younger sibling whined; halting to rub the sore heels of her feet. "...—I feel like we're going to church or something...!"

The older sister laughs; rotating toward the younger sister as she reached out and patted her on the shoulder. "Well, since you asked so nicely?" She teased with a toothy smile. "...—You're all dressed up because I plan to take you somewhere really cool later. And as for the heels? You can take them off after this last ride, 'kay?" She negotiated; observing as the younger girl nodded with a sigh.

"That day... it was almost like a utopia. And it was all thanks to Nala. Despite all the burdens she carried as the oldest daughter, my big sister never missed an opportunity to make me smile..."

"And, on that night, in order to get some fresh air, Nala had taken me to this local carnival, since our parents had a serious falling out that same day..."

"So, Nala being Nala, she dragged me outta my room, shoved me in her car, and we drive off. I can't exactly tell how or when she found the "best carnival in town" but I can tell you that the entire place lit up like Christmas eve...!"

"The beautiful lights, under even prettier stars. Who wouldn't enjoy a night like that? But even so... to this day, I can't believe all I did was complain and beg to go home..."

"...I'd give anything to go back and wish to have stayed a bit longer..."

As a now disoriented (Y/N) clutched her stomach from nausea, she slowly glanced at her elder sister as Nala skipped happily at her side. "Nala...! I think... the funnel cake is tryna fight back," (Y/N) groaned; deeply inhaling as she resisted the urge to vomit. Through this though, the twisting sensation within her stomach refused to subside.