Chapter IV: Amity

~.~

"I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight."

"And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you."

~.~

[July 20th, 2005 - Wednesday]

"You're WHAT?!" A voice rang aggressively over the phone. As (Y/N) withheld her house phone in her right hand. She struggles to suppress the urge to groan out of aggravation. "I'm calling out today, Boss. I told you multiple times already, something came up and—"

"The only thing that's gonna 'come up' is my foot when I—!" (Y/N) holds a hand up to her forehead.

"—Look, can you just do me this one favor for today? I promise to do all of your lame chores tomorrow." Her superior pauses, humming to himself for a moment. His silence only proved that he wanted (Y/N) to do more than just that.

She soughs. "...—And you can get all the smoke breaks your little lungs can dream of, for an entire week." (Y/N) added; listening to a light gasp that emerged from the superior's lips.

"Make it 2 weeks." He snarkily added. (Y/N) inhales sharply, straining a long and irritated "...Deal."

A silent "Yes!" could be heard on the other line as her Boss became immediately overjoyed at the exchange. He then clears his throat. "Yeah, I think I can handle your customers for a while. Don't worry (Y/N). Your job is in good hands." He purred, earning a scoff from the female.

"IT'S YOUR JOB TOO—!" The call then ends, leaving (Y/N) both irritated and relieved. "Phase one is complete." She breathed out.

[FLASHBACK - July 19th]

"I'll explain everything to you. From the beginning." Takemichi huffed, taking a deep inhale before releasing it.

"I'm a time leaper." He began. "Before any of this started, I worked at this dull job to keep my even duller apartment...! It wasn't much, but I didn't exactly have the money to move anywhere else."

(Y/N) nods. "I see..." she inputs.

Takemichi then rubs the back of his neck. "I had lost contact with you after we graduated, but the real reason behind that was because I had gotten beaten up by Kiyomasa and his crew..." (Y/N)'s eyes narrow at the familiar name.

"...—Then, after feeling completely worthless, I left." He murmured, averting his friend's disappointed gaze. "I figured that I should just start over, do something better with my life and not be a delinquent. But no matter what I did..."

"I'm sorry, ma'am."

"I-I'm very sorry, sir...!"

"I'm sorry!"

His fists clench. "I was always a damn failure...! I become nothing more than a pushover— a damn wet floor sign for everybody to just kick!" He shudders. "And to top it all off, I got fired from the only decent job I could find. So, I had truly lost everything."

His eyes then swell up with tears yet again. "But the worst part about everything was learning that you, Naoto, and Hina had died in some odd truck accident..." He humbly added.