Chapter 10

How had his night turned out like this? He had just been standing with Y/n, relenting to the fact that he would have to let her in, and finally - finally - she had been within reach. Then, Snape had interrupted and he was now following him down the empty corridor so they would be at a safe enough distance from the party to talk.

Something burning hot was raging in his chest. His fingers twitched with the need to brandish his wand. The heat spread to his head making it hard for him to think about anything other than hexing Snape into the next century. It made him grit his teeth when he thought about how all the staff at school placed their trust in Snape; how, even if his students knew him as a bully, they would never suspect him of this.

He had been so foolish. He should've told Y/n before - or even Dumbledore as this was a matter of the school's safety. He was not the only undercover death eater at Hogwarts. How this very important detail had slipped his mind, he could not say - but he was kicking himself for being so stupid.

Snape turned sharply, his cloak billowing behind him. His beady eyes were blazing with anger - it could not compare to the fact that Draco was absolutely seething.

"Do you realise how much trouble you could've been in tonight?" he asked.

Draco scoffed, "Yeah, well I didn't get into any trouble, did I?"

"Don't be so arrogant. What if someone starts to become suspicious? As it is, Potter already has his suspicions."

He wasn't too worried about Potter since he wasn't actually going through with the task that he had been forced into taking. Snape was a different story though; he was betraying Dumbledore willingly and no one knew. It would be up to him to inform Dumbledore about the rat in the castle but he had to play the part right now. He couldn't let Snape know that he had switched sides.

"I can handle Potter," he spat. "Besides, no one knows what I'm up to."

"And what exactly are you - up to?"

"That's none of your business," he sneered.

"Draco, let me help you," Snape said.

He found the words did not sound as sweet coming from Snape - especially since he was a traitor.

"I don't need your help," he spat. "I, and I alone, was chosen to carry out this task!"

Snape suddenly surged forward, knocking him into the wall.

"And I made an unbreakable vow. I swore to your mother that I would protect you."

So far you've done a grand job of protecting me - is what he really wanted to say. Instead, he said -

"That's not my problem."

Snape stepped back and Draco stepped away from the wall. He sneered as he straightened out his jumper.

"And what about her?" Snape asked, out of nowhere.

His heart jumped but he tried to keep the sneer on his face.

"Who are you talking about?"

"We both know who I'm talking about," Snape said. Draco pursed his lips. "I thought you broke up with her when your Aunt saw her in your - memories."

He felt his blood go cold, "I did."

"Then why did she say you were her boyfriend?"

"How am I supposed to know?" He forced a scowl onto his face. "You should be thanking her. I think she just did it so I wouldn't get in trouble."