Warnings

A.N. Here we are, with another agonizingly short chapter! Why am I unable to write long chapters, I shall never know. But may you enjoy reading this tiny little thing, and let me know if you did by clicking vote, fanning and commenting

~~~

“So? Where are we?”

I peered at the map for a moment before jabbing my finger on a town. “We’re hitting there next.”

“Utica?  That’s a pretty big place compared to all the small towns we’ve passed. Or at least considering the size of the gray dot on the map…”

 “I get it, it’s big.”

“Jeez, just because you’re pissed doesn’t mean you have to take it out on me.”

“I’m not pissed!”

“Empath, remember?”

“Damn you…” Was all I muttered as reply.

“So why are you pissed?”

“None of-!” I took a deep, calming breath; it’s not her fault for my pissedoff-ness. “I’d rather not say.”

She shrugged. “Okay, whatever.”

I didn’t speak and tried to calm down; Rae was not the cause of my anger. No, I was. I was mad at myself for the drainage of will to resist the evil dreams, and was mad at the dreams in general. They did not seem normal. For normal dreams do not leave you with the fate of obeying them.

Yet I knew, if that voice gave a direct command to me, it would be very hard not to follow it.

I couldn’t help it; the voice caused my blood to stir and my body to control my mind and soul. It was like I was a passenger in my body while someone else tried to drive.

We drove all day again, stopping once in Utica to use washrooms and get some more water; the cafeteria didn’t have much in stalk when I raided it. We also ‘got’ a new car; a black SUV.

But that night, I was afraid of sleeping.

“Are you okay?” Rae asked as she reclined her seat.

“I’m fine.”

Ivy, I’m an Em-”

“I know, I know.” I said, interrupting her. “But I’ll be fine. Just sleep Rae.”

 “Hard when all I can feel is your paranoia.” She sighed, but closed her eyes anyways. “Good night.” She concluded.

I reclined my seat, but laid there with wide open eyes. I refuse to succumb to the dream! I am stronger than that. I sighed, this is stupid, I need sleep.

Yet although I knew it was stupid, I still laid awake, listening to the night. It wasn’t until about one in the morning that my lids fell shut with the speed a brick falls to the ground.

My dear. The voice said, seemingly only seconds after I fell into sleep.

I tried to shout out ‘Go away!’ but I seemed to be bodiless. I was but a conscious floating around in this haze.

Why should I leave? I am here for a reason, one that will benefit you.

Obviously it could still hear me, even in my bodiless state. ‘Leave. Evil be gone.’            

Why do you assume I am evil? I do a good deed for you tonight.

‘And that deed is?’

I am here to save your life.

‘What?’

A demon approaches,he is hungry.

‘Daemn?’ I struggled, trying to wake up, but was unable.

Yes a ‘Daemn’, as you call demons, is coming near. But beware, demons find Hemis very delicious.

‘I don’t care. Just let me wake up!’

But by keeping you here, I am saving you and Rae from harm’s way. If you stay here, asleep in your vehicle, it will not come near enough to smell you. It shall just eat some humans to fill it’s stomach.

‘No!’ I doubled my efforts to wake up.

What are you doing? I am saving you.

‘I don’t care! This is what my life is for! I defend against Daemn.’

Hmm. Fine.

I awoke gasping, sitting up in my seat.

“Ivy?” Asked a yawning Rae. “What happened?”

In response, I started up the car. The headlights beamed to life, revealing the flat empty road. I started driving quickly, but realized I had no idea where the Daemn was.

“Feel.” I commanded Rae. “Feel for maliciousness, feel for the darkest of dark emotions, feel for evil.”

“What?”

“Just feel!

Stunned, she nodded and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath, and seemed to me like a meditating priestess. Rae had explained that although she could feel everyone’s emotions, it was a small radius unless she truly concentrated. I knew not what her limits were, but I hoped she could find the-

“Oh Lord!” She gasped. “What is that? What could hold such darkness? What could hold such evil?

“A Daemn.”

Daemn? We are searching for a Daemn? My goodness Ivy, we could get killed!”

“No we won’t. This is what I do, it’s my living. You’ll stay hidden.” To my surprise, she did not protest; although Rae protested to almost all my ideas. But Rae valued her life, unlike I. “Where is it?”

“Well, I just get a general direction; so that way.” She pointed back towards Utica; clutching the seat when I did a quick U-turn. Speeding through the roads, several honks and middle fingers