Chapter 20

20 : The Run

Natasha and Steve were in a room where Fury's dead body had been laid out, Natasha was looking at Fury's body with tears running down her face. Steve could feel her sadness fill him but he couldn't reach out to her so he just watched her from a far. Hill then joined them.

"We need to take him."

Steve went over to his soulmate, "Natasha"

She didn't respond, instead she tenderly touched Fury's head then turned sharply and walked out, Steve followed her, calling her out in his mind but this time, she was shutting him off. She was hurt.

"Natasha!" He called again and she quickly turned to him.

Steve immediately caught her in his arms. He held her tightly and trying to console her. Natasha buried her face in his chest, seeking comfort from his presence.

"Fury's dead." She whispered. He could see that she was trying to accept that fact.

She might not express much feeling to anyone except him but he could sense that she had a hell of a lot of respect for the director. Steve didn't know what to say so he only rubbed her back, soothing his soulmate while she opened herself up to let him in again. Their little moment was interrupted by Rumlow.

"Captain, they want you back at SHIELD." The agent informed.

"Yeah, give me a second" Steve replied but didn't let go of Natasha.

"They want you now." Rumlow was relentless.

"Okay." The Captain was annoyed and shot Rumlow a deadly glare that made him walk away. Steven turned to Natasha, looking right into her eyes, "Everything will be okay, alright, sweetheart?" He softly rubbed her arms.

"Don't sweetheart me." She hissed.

"I will be back soon, Tasha." He smiled and kissed her forehead, "We will be alright."

Natasha chuckled, "You're a terrible liar." Her smile quickly faded, "Don't trust anyone. SHIELD is compromised. Use only your instinct."

"Yes, ma'am."

She turned and walked off. Steve was looking until Nat was out of his sight before he went to Rumlow.

"Let's go."

"Yeah" Rumlow nodded, "STRIKE, move it out."

___________________

Steve headed back to SHIELD where he was brought before Secretary Pierce. Steve had never been on the top floor before.

"Ah, Captain. I'm Alexander Pierce." The old man in front of him introduced himself.

"Sir, it's an honor." Steve shook hand with the Secretary.

"The honor is mine, Captain. My father served in the 101st. Come on in."

They entered Pierce's office where he showed Steve an old photo of Fury with Pierce. The man proceeded to reminisce about his old times with Fury.

"That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met. When I was at State Department in Bogota. ELN rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was deputy chief of the SHIELD station there. And he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, "No, we'll negotiate." Turned out the ELN didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They stormed the basement, and what did they find? They find it empty. Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil. He saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."