Chapter 19

19 : The Goodbye

Steve sat up straight. His face turned serious and his calming ocean blue eyes turned into stormy grey ones in a matter of seconds. Natasha watched him closely as his happiness faded away almost instantly. She reached out for him in his mind but he recoiled.

"But I just visited her a couple of days ago." Steve's voice was shaking. Sadness filled his eyes.

The man on the other side of the line kept telling Steve everything while the Captain listened in silence. Natasha sat up and reached her hands out to comfort him, letting him know that she's here with him.

"I will be there tomorrow. Please inform the Carters that." Steve hung up and turned to Natasha but he didn't say anything.

"What is it, soul mate?" She asked with concerned voice.

"Peggy passed away…I…." He fell into silence, trying to hold back tears, "But we just…visited her."

Her arms immediately wrapped around him, pulling him closer, "Hey…I'm here. Maybe she passed away without any pain or worries left."

"I hope so."

"Shall we leave for DC?"

"Are you okay with it?"

"Of course."

"Thank you, soul mate."

She kissed him and reached her soul out to his, to comfort him and let him know that she was with him in this. He never had to do anything alone. He had her.

Steve leaned into her, buried his face in her shoulder and trying really hard to hold back the tears. He had to be strong. He couldn't drag Natasha down with him when they shared all emotions like this.

"Let it all out, Steve. You don't have to hold back with me."

That was when her Captain broke down again and let it all out. Even when the bond between him and Peggy Carter was broken but the feelings and experiences they shared weren't something that could easily erase. She was his first love and his life mate.

They sat there, in quiet for two hours. Steve was crying until there were no tears left in his eyes with Natasha holding him tight, soothing him without saying any words, knowing that he needed to grieve for his love one.

Then he broke the embrace and looking at her, trying to put on the brave face as much as he could. Natasha kissed away the last trail of his tears.

"Quinjet is on the helipad, if you want to go now." She quietly said.

"We should" Steve nodded and got up from bed.

"I will go change and we will meet up in ten minutes."

Steve too went to the bathroom and cleaned himself up, changing into new clothes. The couple flew to DC and told only JARVIS about this because they didn't want to ruin the holiday spirit for everyone.

The flight to DC was in a complete silence. Steve stared blankly into the night while Natasha piloting the plane. She sneaked glances at him all the time to see that he was doing okay. As far as she was concerned, he was holding up pretty good.

They arrived at the Triskelion before they headed to the hospital that Sharon told them.

"Thank you for coming, Captain Rogers." Sharon said once she met them at the hospital.

"How was she?"

"She passed away five hours ago and you don't have to worry. She had no pain or no worry left." The blonde informed, "The funeral will be held at Arlington in four days. She should rest with her friends."