𝙏𝙒𝙊 𝙒𝙀𝙀𝙆 𝙇𝘼𝙏𝙀𝙍

Start from the beginning

Bradley took her hand tightly as she used her butt to open the door of the Hard Deck. It was slammed back, just as it had been five weeks ago when she'd first entered it. et, this time she had about 100 people all staring at her, their drinks held drinks up to her in praise. The cheering was deafening, and even though it still hurt, being praised when she felt like she had lost, a smile crept onto her pale lips as she took a wobbling bow, winking brazenly at Penny who'd pushed her way through the front crowd, like a beacon on light in the darkness.

Lilah didn't waste a second once she returned to a standing position, neither woman could contain themselves. Both jumped up and down in excitement and joy as Penny wrapped the young girl into her arms, one hand affectionately on the back of her head.

"Oh, my girl." Penny whispered, rubbing Lilah's back. "Don't ever do that to any of us again, okay? I don't want to ever have to get a call from Maverick like that again, you understand me, Lilah Eloise Kazansky?"

"I promise." And she meant it, as she buried her face into Penny's neck, tears pricking her dark, cloudy green eyes.

"Good, that's my girl." Penny said, cupping Lilah's cheeks. She kissed one lightly. "Oh you're so tan and in love! Tell me everything!"

"Two weeks on a ranch is hard work. But it was a distraction. And I needed a distraction." she admitted, wrinkling her nose. "Bradley was amazing to Jamie the whole time, showing him anything and everything. It was just, well, everything and more."

"Did he propose?"

Lilah smacked the older woman's arm lightly, her face bright red. "Penny! No, no, he did not. I hated him three weeks ago!"

"Excuses and deflections if you ask me." she murmured into Lilah's ear, but she could smile in her voice. Penny turned back to face her, rubbing her warm hands up Lilah's arms. "So, the bar's all yours. Dale, the bartender, is gonna close up, so don't be alarmed. I'm glad I got you see you, dear."

Lilah noticed her outfit. Sailing clothes, just like the ones she'd seen millions of times before. She furrowed her brows. "Where are you going?"

"Soul-searching, darling." Penny beamed, kissing Lilah on the cheek again and the girl watched her eyes find something behind them. Bradley was returning from the bar, to drinks in hand. "He asked for your granddady's permission all those years ago, and I know I can't speak for him, but I think he couldn't be more proud of the young man you chose."

Lilah hung her head, a grin from ear to ear as he came up behind her. "Yeah, I think he would be."

Penny took Lilah's hand one last time before pulling Bradley into a hug. "Take care of my girl, Bradley."

"Always, Mrs. Benjamin."

Penny took a few steps away, waving. Lilah spun to face Bradley, biting her lip to stop the tears. A sudden thought came to her mind.

"What about Maverick?" she blurted out, stopping Penny before she put her hand on the door handle.

She didn't turn to face her as she replied, "I'll find him when the time is right. It always works out in the end, dear."

Lilah didn't ask if she was implying something, just watched her leave, her feet frozen. Bradley seemed to feel the hurt because she felt him place a hand on the small of her back and lead her away from the door.

"She'll be back," he murmured into her ear, right before they reached the section their friends had commandeered. "A goodbye is not forever, it doesn't have to die, you have to believe it isn't."

Lilah nodded, absently, the pain in her heart and the pain ahead overwhelming her.

She took one of the drinks from his hand, downing it. He didn't object, or even judge, just took the glass once she was finished and set it down. She let the alcohol burn down her throat, giving her a slight buzz to take off the edge.