𝙏𝙃𝙄𝙍𝙏𝙔-𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍

The two pieces of metal seemed too heavy in her hand as stared out into the chaos forming around her. No one paid her any attention, as she rubbed her fingers gently over the engravings, over the name she'd gone for 26 years.

And then chunked it into the ocean.

The water lapped around the spot they hit the water, sinking to the bottom. She squinted, as if maybe she could see them drift to the bottom of the ocean.

"You might need those," Phoenix called from behind. Lilah turned to meet her as she came to stand beside her. "You know, in case you decide to be a dumbass."

Lilah bit her lip to conceal her smile, "Those had my old last name on them, and what's the point of keeping them. I think that girl died with my grandfather."

"I don't you can just stop being someone," her friend pointed out. "You can't just erase a whole personality."

"Maybe," Lilah said with a shrug. "Or maybe I just realized I was never her, Lilah Hollis, she was just an impostor, a name to hide behind. I wasn't a Kazansky, I wasn't the daughter of a 15 year old who'd gotten knocked up, I was just a girl with a mystery man's last name. I didn't get pity glances, sad smiles. I made a name for myself without the help of nepotism or some shit."

Phoenix stared out into the ocean. "A name doesn't change who you are, Lilah, you're a Kazansky, and the best damn pilot I've ever met." She had somewhat of a sad smile when tugged gently on Lilah's arm so they faced each other. "But, and this might seem irrelevant, you're also a Mitchell. You might not have any of Maverick's blood, but he raised you, just the same as your grandfather. Don't let this," she gestured to the chaotic fight deck, "Ruin two relationships."

Lilah tried to begin an argument, when she was cut off, "Just, don't leave this carrier regretting not giving him one last hug, okay? Even the old Lilah wasn't heartless enough to not say goodbye."

Lilah watched Natasha take a few steps away from her before she was aware she called her name. The girl turned around and before either could prepare themselves, they were slamming into each other. After a few moment's of gripping each other, they lost their footing and tumbled onto the hot asphalt in a heap of laughter and tears.

"Don't do anything stupid." Nat whispered into her ear.

A single tear slid down Lilah's face as she murmured back, "Now where would the fun in that be?"

They both shook with laughter, both holding back tears.

"For the record, you're a whore." Phoenix murmured and it took everything in Lilah's being not to laugh. "But you're the only whore I'd want leading me into this mission."

She leaned into the embrace one last time. "Good, because you're the only bitch I'd want covering my ass."

And that was that.

No goodbyes.

Goodbyes meant they weren't going to see each other again, and they were.

Someone helped each of them off the ground. With the sun in her eyes, seeing as her sunglasses had been thrown across the tarmac, she couldn't tell who it was.

It took her a moment to realize that 5 pilots gathered around them. Reuben had his hand rested gently on her shoulder, as if it could protect her from the truth.

Time.

It seemed that they'd run out of time.

As impossible as it seemed, it was as if the air had been sucked out of their small group, like they were in a bubble.

"I've known most of you for three weeks, some longer," she met eyes with Payback, and then with Bradley. He wouldn't look at her. "And you've all stuck with me, been through more with me than anyone else has. It's an honor to be flying with you all today."