x

Dean was disappointed to find Sutton's motel room completely devoid of any hunting evidence. He hoped that by coming to her room, he could snoop around and find out just what she was up to. It was frustrating. She was too good at staying hidden, keeping secrets, minimizing her trace. She was practically a professional when it comes to making people run into dead ends. How does she do it so well? Dean wondered. He thought he himself was good. He'd need to learn a thing or two from her. That is, if she doesn't disappear on him overnight.

It suddenly struck Dean that he was likely going to be stuck stranded here, as taking off while he slept was something right up her alley. That would mean trouble for him. He had no clue where the hell this place was, and he was sure there wasn't even service here. Why was he even here again?

Sutton shed the coat she wore, and hung it up on the coatrack by the motel door. He took in what she was wearing again, a pair of black Levi's straight jeans that fit perfectly in all the right places, and a dark green blouse with a deep cut neck line, long flowing sleeves, and cinched around the stomach. She looked incredible, and Dean thought in that very moment that Sutton maybe wasn't actually a hunter. She didn't look like someone who killed monsters and supernatural freaks for a living, she looked normal, she looked as if she'd never even had a thought in her mind that something else existed out there that wasn't just human, she looked rich, especially with that Porsche she's been driving all over. He couldn't even begin to imagine how she got the cash for that ride. And he felt a small ache in his chest at the realization that she'd either trash or rid that car too, now that he's seen it. Looking at the woman again, who was occupied with pouring whiskey into two glasses full of ice, maybe he was more upset with the likelihood that she would be gone again.

He watched as she strode over to where he stood, and handed him one of the glasses. She nodded her head at him, gesturing him to sit and stay awhile. He sat himself down in the chair across from the bed, which she casually sat at the edge of, crossing one leg over the other, propping herself up with one arm as she sipped from her own glass. Dean took a sip and the felt the familiar burn of the liquor. He tasted it for a few seconds, and as it went down, he knew that he would be feeling the effects of all the alcohol he'd consumed very soon. Or maybe it was already kicking in, which would explain the strong, uncontrollable feelings he was experiencing. He wasn't sure if he wanted to kiss Sutton Rowland, or if he wanted to yell at her for being the way she was.

Dean swallowed another sip as Sutton's gaze still bore into his soul. With that, he figured he may as well swallow his own pride - there was no winning with her - and at this point he just wanted to understand her better. "Why did you start?" He asked her.

"Wraiths," she replied simply. "They got into the house, took our parents first. I walked in the door, and my parents were dying on the floor of the kitchen. Two hunters came in, they dragged me out of the house, and rescued Jade from the attic."

"I'm sorry," Dean sighed, throwing back the rest of his drink. "I watched my mom die at the hands of a demon. I pulled Sam out of the burning house. Dad got us into the gig, did everything he could to kill it."

"Jade and Desi did the same thing, they realized that's what they wanted for themselves. I didn't at first, I had just been accepted into a PhD position, didn't even finish my masters and they offered me a spot not even an hour before I walked in that door. They let me defer it with the death of my parents. I had to do a lot, I broke the news to Desirae, she was at a sleepover at a friends that night. You should have seen her face. She was seventeen. Jade told her about our superheroes, Desi got ideas, then just, started. She roped Jade in, and eventually I started too. With mom and dad gone, I had this, responsibility to take care of them, keep them safe. We disappeared for awhile, hunting, killing monsters. It satisfied this weird, dark, twisted thing in Jade that I can only attribute to guilt. She was home when it happened, she couldn't protect mom and dad, but how could she have?"