Chapter36

As Harry was having the time of his life Albus was still smarting at how badly his plans had fallen apart last summer. He had quite unsuccessfully tried to salvage his plan to no avail. Nothing he could think of seemed good enough. The signs were pointing to Voldemort regaining power but there were no whispers and Severus had become increasingly uncooperative. He could only hope that his original plan for the year would be enough.
Albus sighed gods above he was tired with all the preparation for the Triwizard Tournament and the new founders Library and redesigning the chamber of secrets entrance, not to mention assigning the new staff members. Though he was a bit excited to introduce the new classes to the school. Plans that had been put on hold for years as the miserly school board had refused funding them for almost half a century. Spell crafting, magical traditions, magical laws and history with the expanded class of mundane studies (muggle studies) to help the magical population blend better with the non magical folk. Albus was feeling his age but the wealth of knowledge and history found from the library was astounding. Albus flashed back to the board meeting that was held in January.
Since the expulsion of Lucius Malfoy from the board the meetings were much more pleasant than ever before. With the funds from the basilisk sale they were happier than ever to fund new classes (money being the only factor that held them back claiming not wanting to raise fees to much.) When Albus went to the back to deal with the payments for the new teachers and equipment he was told of the vault the founders set up for the upkeep of the school, armed with this fund and the money from Harry there was nothing they could say to fight against him. The fact that Harry had seen fit to set aside some funds for new brooms and quidditch supplies was a bonus the Madam Hooch couldn't stop boasting about. Yes things were looking up in a manner of speaking. Due to the new/old funding Albus was finally able to hire a curse breaker to break the curse on the DA position. Alastair Moody agreed to a one year contract as Dand a new history teacher (one inclined not to put the children to sleep) was hired. All in all the future was looking bright for hogwarts. If only the spector of Voldemort was not hanging over his head Albus would truly be able to relax and enjoy life. But right at this moment he still had planning to do. How to get Harry back on his side, observing the boy this past year he seemed to have grown considerably in confidence and power. Whilst not necessarily a bad thing Albus could no longer read Harry's thoughts, he mind had shields to rival his own. He hoped that Voldemort wouldn't be able to possess the boy. Sighing again he had hoped that he could bond with the boy over the school year but the open hostility from Harry the one time they spoke was disappointing. Albus was only doing what was necessary for the greater good, and while it wasn't beneficial for Harry it was what was needed to happen he was a horcrux after all. One day Harry must sacrifice his life for the greater good of the wizarding world.
"Being the leader of the light is never easy old friend." He said solemnly to Fawkes who thrilled at the old man sadly shaking his head.
Fawkes loooked despondently at his old friend who was once again staring off into space and muttering plans under his breath. The phoenix hoped the boy in question would be spared the old man's machinations. Perhaps it would soon be time to find a new master.

             ‐------------------------------

Minerva Mcgonagall was sitting in her office going over the schools new schedule for the new year trying and failing to keep her eyes from drifting to the newest photograph on her desk. The picture Harry sent of his birthday party was a site to behold. The small skinny boy she once knew was now taller and healthier with a sun tanned face the spoke of many days relaxing in the sun. While many would comment that he looked like his father with his mother's eye's Minerva could see much more than Lily's eye's in that sweet boy. In her mind he was the best of the both of them. James's loyalty and cheek, Lily's capacity for love and intelligence. Harry's grades were holding a steady O average just behind Miss Granger. The influence of that had an effect on the youngest Mr Weasley who had gone from a A average up to an EE to O on most of his subjects putting him in the top 20 students in the school. Laughing to herself when she had thought that last year he would probably fail his owls  if he kept on the was. What a difference a year can make. Her expression turned sour at the thought of that meddling whiskered old sod Albus to many names Dumbledore. If he keeps playing chess with people's lives she was going to transfigure him in to a goat permanently. Pulling herself back to her task she began to concentrate on her work.

           -----------------------------

That evening Minerva sat in her private rooms with the other heads of house and Remus Lupin the newly named head of Gryffindor. Minerva was so pleased at the school boards decision to split the deputy head job and head of house. The drinks were flowing and there was even something like a smile on Severus's face. The new classes and teachers had been discussed and the dangers of the triwizard tournament. They had each lamented Dumbledore's decision to host the contest and hoped that this year there were no incidents with Harry Potter. They all agreed that the poor boy deserved to have a quiet time. The drinking and talking proceeded well in to the night and when Minerva woke the next morning she was thankful the Severus had left a hangover potion for her. It was sorely needed that day.