Cigars

Cubans are known for cigars. The country had many tobacco farms , this would eventually become a global export , in the early 1900's it wasn't .
Cruz had to toughen up and be a man . After 30 days of crying every night , a soldier who was the closest to his age , Miguel , a 17 year old Introduced him to cigars , which  became his 4th Favourite thing .

After few months he adapted to the army. He exceeded his superior's expectations and was told he would be sent back home after 6 months . His dad wants him home . Well we all know it was his mother who really wanted him back ..

Cruz was now indifferent about going back or staying . He was enjoying the new found life . He writes to his mom every week , and being amongst the few who could read and write , he was helping other soldiers write to their families too . He also helped to read the letters they received .. in 6 months he bacame the crowd favorite, he was like a little brother to them but the name Diablo was still stuck ..

His mother became sick and His father married another woman. There is a time of the year where families fly from all over Cuba to come see their loved one in the army , Cruz dad came with his new wife and he was pissed . He created a scene and his dad was angry by his rudeness to his new step mom who he called a gold digger ..

His father raised his hand to hit him and he brought out a gun and pointed it to his head in Spanish he said " you want to see the monster I am , hit me and you will find out"

His dad was surprised , and he took his new wife and left ..that was the last time he ever saw him , but a man who grew up without his dad by his side , Cruz only cared about his mom and the army wasn't paying enough back then , but all his money went to her ...

Few years later he lost his mom .. he saw her a couple of times though but she was the only family he got and now he needed to channel his energy to something else
Before it was his mom , church , guns and cigar   .. now it was only just 3 .. a habit that will latergo on for the rest of his life ..

Unlike most military in the world at that time , the Cuban army was the least threat to anyone .. they had guns , but they barely had a functioning air force . The navy was dead and some soldiers started quitting to join other ventures , some became mechanics , tailors and a few went into agriculture..

10 years later
He was already 25 years and had archived the rank of a captain .. he had not experienced any real life combat , but what made him stay in the army was beyond money ,the brotherhood gave him shelter, comfort ..

At 25 he had already experienced massive improvement and growth of the Cuban army ,although they were no match to countries like the United States , USSR , and Germany ..

A new unit was created , Intelligence. Unlike most intelligence in the army , this intelligence was created to spy on other countries military operations , weaponry , tactics . The army needed someone to go to the United States and no one volunteered except the young and vibrant boy, Captain Cruz .. he was too young for anyone to suspect he was in the military, he spoke fluent English and had a way with people . Mostly women

December 23rd he arrived Florida ..
an operation called "Operation Baby face "