CHAPTER TWO (SAMPLE)

Comenzar desde el principio

From her location, Miranda could see both Stoker below her and the surrounding area in all directions.

She could see the warehouse where the deal was supposed to occur, and several large cargo boxes being unloaded from a flat-bed semi-trailer to a forklift.

Minutes passed and they had no trouble. Nobody came near the trees.

Stoker's buyer emerged from the warehouse, and the two exchanged words for a moment, ignoring the cluster of trees and their temporary residents.

Another few minutes passed, and the two men strode over to the wooden containers. Stoker's buyer looked around to find something to open the box with before spotting a crowbar.

He went to pick it up, and Miranda watched as he fit the crowbar under the top of the wooden box and jimmied it open. With a loud crash, the top fell to the ground.

Miranda's eyes narrowed. What they expected to be a major drug bust wound up to be much more sinister indeed.

Stoker revealed to his buyer secret compartments beneath several dozen fruit crates containing hundreds of pounds of heroin, various semiautomatic weapons, and explosive devices.

The buyer withdrew a fat envelope from his jacket pocket and handed it to his supplier. They shook hands and exchanged a few words.

When their conversation ended, each went their separate ways. The transaction was complete. It was time to move in.

"Go, go, go!" Miranda motioned for all the agents to storm the area, and instantly, dozens of feet went into action.

A brigade of uniformed and armed agents emerged from the trees on Stoker's left. Stoker opened fire at once, along with several of his crewmen.

***

Miranda flinched, feeling the bullet whizzing past her ear as she slammed the heel of her hand against the side of the offender's head.

Then she clubbed her fist against the nape of his neck, rendering the man unconscious.

"Son of a—" Hicks growled. "I'm out!"

Miranda's hand quickly found the pocket of her vest to retrieve a full cartridge and tossed it to her partner.

"Make it count!" she yelled over the loud gunfire.

Hicks reloaded his weapon and kneeled on one knee behind a crate and leveled his rifle at one of the men and pulled the trigger, sending a bullet straight through the cranium, killing him instantly.

Miranda caught sight of their suspect, Eli Stoker.

"Hicks, cover me!"

She heard Hicks curse under his breath. The situation was going to hell. She knew he'd back her up, but she'd be out of sight before he could get a good aim.

Miranda Hastings ran as fast as her body would carry her, ignoring the burning in the muscles of her legs.

She was glad of the training she'd received over the years that made it possible for her to keep pace.

Fueled by anxiety and adrenaline, she caught up to the suspect who was loading several black duffle bags into an International CXT truck.

"Eli Stoker, DEA," she announced, leveling her gun at the back of his head. "Step away from the vehicle, turn around, and put your hands behind your head!"

Stoker reached for his weapon and whipped around, pointing the pistol at her.

"Drop the weapon, Eli!"