Chapter 13 - Love and Trust

"Michael.." I rushed over to him, "what happened?"

He sniffled before explaining, "well, I don't know if you knew, but Mia and I broke up because I was being stupid last weekend and I stormed out of the house then cheated on her after an argument we had. I felt terrible right after I did it.. But she came to see me this afternoon since we hadn't talked much this week. We were talking when she got mad because I was trying to get her to be with me again. She sat on the railing of the porch and I grabbed her waist, trying to pull her back onto the porch. She wriggled herself out of my grasp and fell off of the porch," he was still crying, "I feel like it's my fault."

"Michael.." I stopped, "it's not your fault, and we're not mad at you. She never should've gotten on the railing. But is she alright?"

"The doctors came back already and told us that since they don't know how she landed, they will have to do a full body X-ray. They still have no idea how she is doing, though. They won't know for a while. The full body X-ray could take up to about two and a half hours. If there is anything broken, which they said it was almost guaranteed, it would take longer. The doctor promised that we would be able to see her before one tomorrow morning, but he said he can't promise any time before that," his head fell to his lap, him wiping tears from his eyes.

By now, mum and dad were freaked out. They wanted to see Mia. They were scared and didn't know what to do. I was the same. I didn't want anything bad to happen to my baby sister. We had no idea if she was alright or not. I was so scared that she was not going to be the same as she was before. I didn't know what I was thinking, like, what if this changed her? What if she has no idea who we are? That would be terrible.

*Michael's POV*

I had no idea what to think. I felt like this was my fault. In a way, it was. If I would've never cheated on her, she might not have been at my house. We might've been at hers. Who knows what would've happened if I didn't cheat on her? Anything but this. And anything would be better than this. She would still be with me. She wouldn't be unconscious and in the hospital. She would be in my arms. I would still be able to call her babe. I would love that.

I had to fucking cheat on her! That is what got us here. I'm never doing that again. I am promising to myself and to Mia that I will never cheat on her again, as long as I'm with her, which will hopefully be forever. She still loves me. She knows that. I know that. We both love each other. But she can't trust me.

I need to regain her trust. That is my top priority in getting her back. She is still in love with me, so I don't have to win her over again. I just need to rebuild the bridge of trust between me and her.

---

It was now eleven at night, and I had fallen asleep. I woke up to realize that it was 11:34. My parents were talking to Mia's parents. It sounded like Mia's parents not wanting me to get back with Mia. I looked at them and Mia's parents glared at me. My parents just smiled. I looked away, and they continued talking.

"Your son does not deserve to be dating our daughter. He's caused enough damage to her. Emotionally and physically!" Her mum said.

"Mum, stop. I've told you millions of times. Michael is a great guy for Mia. If you can't see that now, I don't think you ever will. Michael makes her happy. You bugging her about him makes her mad, and that's the only side you see of her because of your actions. They love each other. You need to let them go and be normal teenagers. Let them love each other," Dan told him mum.

"Mia doesn't love Michael anymore, Dan. She hates him." She scolded Dan.

"Just because she can't trust me doesn't mean she hates me!" I yelled at Marie, Mia's mum, "She also does love me. She told me this afternoon. If you don't believe me, here!"

I got out my phone. I had recorded her saying that twice this afternoon. I played it back to them, "I still love you, Michael..." and the other one was, "Just because I said I love you doesn't mean I'm getting back together with you. It means that I love you, yet I can't trust you, so I'm not getting back together with you.."

"Let me see when you recorded that.." Marie ordered and grabbed my phone, "December 1, 2012. 4:04pm and 4:05pm. Fine. Yeah, she still loves you? But she still said she can't trust you."

"That's going to be thing I need to do, Marie.. Regain her trust."

"Yeah.. That's gonna be hard."

"I don't care if it's hard. I just need to be able to do it."