How to smile (Naruto x Sai)

(A/N  I almost gave up halfway through this fic because it was HORRIBLE to write - I love Sasunaru so I think a piece of my soul died writing this 😭)

Setting: pre-war Konoha, after many failed attempts to retrieve Sasuke

"Alright, Team 7. I'm giving you a C-rank, so I have faith in you to take care of this quickly. Don't disappoint me."

"Understood," Yamato replied to Tsunade.

Team 7 had just been assigned a simple guard mission; Naruto was frustrated about this. His team had proved their skill time and time again, but since Sakura - and of course, Kakashi, who was still bedridden - wasn't going to be there, Tsunade gave them a stupid C-rank.

After he left the room, he whined, "Ugh, why's Granny giving us such an easy mission? Sakura's so lucky, she gets to go on an A-rank mission while the rest of us are stuck on this stupid mission. All because she's a medical ninja!"

Yamato replied, "Instead of complaining, how about you enjoy the break? Besides, you just went on an S-rank mission not too long ago, remember?"

"Yeah, but that was just to save Gaara, and I barely even did anything, it was Sakura that did all the hard stuff..."

Sai piped up, showing his signature smile, "Captain Yamato is right. Enjoy the break. Plus, it's better than nothing."

"Still..."

They all set out towards the A-un gates to begin their journey to the Land of Wind.

Once they reached the gates, Izumo and Kotetsu wished them a safe trip, and they set out.
(A/N did you guys know they have Izumo and Kotetsu funkos now?!? 😍)

For the first ten minutes or so, Naruto kept complaining, but after so long, he shut up.
Mainly because Sai said, "My brother once said that overly talkative people are trying to compensate for something. Maybe you're trying to compensate for what you're lacking."

Yamato laughed a little, and Naruto replied angrily, "Would you let that go already, damnit?!?" After that, he was quiet until they reached the Land of Wind.

After the long journey, they were all exhausted. Still, they had to find the person that they were supposed to be guarding, who lived in a small village in the Land of Wind.

As soon as they made it to the small village, Yamato found a place for them to stay. They were currently sitting around the low table in their room. Since they weren't given much information about the client they were supposed to be guarding, they were discussing how to go about finding them.

"I'll use the super beast scroll," Sai suggested.

"That's alright Sai, save your chakra. I'll ask around - you two can rest for now. It was a long trip, after all."