Chapter 2

I chewed on my thumb nail before angrily throwing the pregnancy test in the trash bin, stalking out of the bathroom in a crusty mood. I thumped down the stairs and into the kitchen, going straight for my comfort stash in the cupboard and sank down on the couch.

"Are you okay?" Dimitri asked.

I stuck my hand into the bag and stuffed a two-bite brownie into my mouth with a shake of my head.

"No."

"It'll happen, Roza," Dimitri whispered, moving down the couch and wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I nodded stiffly and ate another brownie so that I didn't need to speak. I hated how hard this was. One drunk night gifted us with a beautiful miracle, but now five years later we'd been trying for a year to no avail.

Nothing was worse than seeing that stupid minus sign on the stick every month. Especially when I thought I was finally pregnant. I was achy, my boobs hurt, and I was nauseous all the time. But it was still negative.

"I'm sorry," I whispered after swallowing my mouthful.

"Don't be. This is out of both of our control. We can keep trying," Dimitri said encouragingly, rubbing my shoulder. I looked up at him with furrowed brows.

"What if it was just a fluke?" I whispered.

Dimitri frowned but kissed my forehead. "Remy is enough for me."

"I know. But I just...I want another baby."

Dimitri nodded and kissed my head again before standing up. "I know, sweetheart."

I sighed heavily and wiped my face with my hands, tossing the bag onto the counter. I smoothed my clothes out and noticed the time, heading to the front hall to get my shoes on.

"Rose?"

"I got to go get Rem from school," I hollered over my shoulder. I heard Dimitri's footsteps follow me and he came into the front hall. He put his shoes on too and plucked the keys out of my hands as I shouldered my purse.

"I'm driving," Dimitri said gently, giving me a stern look. I let it go and waited for him to lock the door before getting in the car. I sighed and pulled my feet up and wrapped my arms around my knees, resting my chin on them. The drive to Remy's school wasn't far, only ten minutes, but it felt like hours.

"When do you have to go back again?" I asked quietly.

Dimitri reached out and cupped the back of my head gently as he drove. "End of the week. I'll only be gone for a few days," he said, "And then I'll be back to straight remote work."

I nodded and ran my teeth over my lip. "At least it's only temporary," I sighed, "I don't sleep well when you're gone."

Dimitri nodded and twisted strands over his fingers. Once things became serious between us and we decided that we were going to be a family, Dimitri took up a position remotely. It allowed him to be with us, all while allowing him to keep the title he worked so hard for. We kept up with our training and I started working at the gym and local martial arts studio. Dimitri worked mostly on Strigoi movements, helping track them with the help of the Alchemists.

I didn't want to admit it, but I preferred that he wasn't in the field anymore. It wasn't just him and me, it was him and me and Remy.

We pulled up in front of the school and we both got out of the car, walking through the gate to the kindergarten pen. There were other parents waiting already and I leaned into Dimitri's side as he wrapped his arm around me, kissing my temple.

I spotted Emily a few feet away and I waved at her. She smiled at me and excused herself from the conversation she was having and made her way over to us.