Dick's eyes started to turn desperate, almost like a trapped wild animal.

"You know... she wasn't even part of the plan originally. I was going to be in her place, fake my own death. But there were problems with that. One leader 'betraying' his team and then the new one 'dying'? Who would take over and be in the know? How would the team be able to function like that?! Artemis volunteered... she came to me! Not even Wally would understand that for the longest time and he was there! And my own family and girlfriend... they want absolutely nothing to do with me. Matter of fact no one did, and they made that exceedingly clear. The others... I can understand. But Bruce of all people? I know I lied to him but you know damn well he would have done the exact same thing, if not anything more risky--"

'I don't want to be THE Batman anymore.'

Dick froze for a second as that memory ran through his mind before he covered his face with a hand, a dark chuckle escaping his lips.

Dinah's face was stricken with worry and she made a move to get up before Dick uncovered his face and looked right at her again, his own face stricken with grief, a few tears running silently down his face. But he made no move to wipe them away this time.

"Artemis and Kaldur tried to shoulder some of the blame for the plan, which by the way worked and didn't result in anymore deaths or enslavement, but no one cared that they were involved. No, just me. Why? Because I was the leader, the 'mastermind'. Wally just... abandoned me. Everyone else did too but like I said, I could understand that. Even Bruce to a certain point. But Wally... he was in on it right along with me!"

A moment passed before Dick's breathing calmed down and Dinah settled back into the chair.

"But you have forgiven him?"

A moment of silence passed, as if Dick was considering that for the first time.

"He... he's been here for me. He's trying to make things right. Which is more than could be said for others. I don't... I don't think Bruce, Barbara, or Tim even know what I tried to do. Or if they would even care."

Dinah glanced at the ground for a moment and fiddled with her coat sleeve.

"Dick..."

She sighed before raising her head back up to meet his sad gaze.

"They've been worried about you--"

Dick merely snorted in disbelief.

"They weren't worried before. It's only because I almost died right? Or maybe they're anxious for me to actually succeed this time."

Dinah's whole body jerked in surprise at that. He couldn't be serious...

"Dick... do you honestly think your family wants you dead?"

Dick's eyes finally focused, his stare cool as he met Dinah's gaze, his tone coming out low and broken. He truly believed his answer.

"Yes."

Dead. Silence.

Dinah had to almost literally pick her jaw up from the floor as she struggled to maintain her professional composure.

She cleared her throat before glancing down at his wrist, noticing he was now scratching at it.

She returned her gaze back to his face.

"Dick... what did you mean by 'this time'"?

Dick froze for a second, his eyes widening.

"I d-didn't mean it like that."

Dinah frowned before getting up and coming to kneel before Dick.

"Are you still suicidal? Actively?"

Dick grimaced and averted his gaze.

But Dinah placed a firm hand on his knee and squeezed, bringing his attention back to her. Her expression demanded an answer. An honest one.

"I don't want to hurt myself, honestly. But... I wouldn't be opposed to death either."

Oh shit.

'Passively suicidal. That's still a big problem.'

Dinah closed her eyes, took a calming breath, before opening her eyes once more and standing up.

"Don't send me back to the hospital."

Dinah looked down and was met with pleading eyes.

"Please I... just felt worse there Dinah."

Dinah was quick to put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I'm not going to send you back Dick, no one is. But you still need help... and I think talking with your family is the way to begin."

Dick merely scoffed at the word 'family'.

"You gave Wally a chance."

Dick pulled a face at that. Yeah well... whatever. His family was different.

"Dick, from what you've told me, I really think you need to talk to Tim. At least see him."

Dick's expression turned miserable.

"... would he even want to see me?"

Dinah bit her lip at that.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Master Tim, you must eat!"

Tim ignored Alfred, or at the very least was off in his own world. He was slumped against the dining table, his elbows crossed with his head resting on top.

He wasn't hungry.

He sniffled and turned his head to the side, looking out the window instead of at the plate of food Alfred just offered him.

His eyes were misty and there were dark circles under his eyes.

He was such... a monumental jerk.

His hair and clothes were a mess, and the boy hasn't said more than two words since that call from the hospital.

In his moment of anger towards his big brother, he hardly heard or even understood what he was saying to him. Only when he learned Dick had tried to commit suicide, did his brain finally catch up with his mouth.

And he's never felt this miserable in his life. Dick was always there for him from minute one. And where was Tim? He turned his back on him like everyone else. All for a plan that worked and saved everyone in the end. He was angry at the emotional trauma they went through, something that could have been avoided had Dick just kept them in the loop.

But only recently did he stop and think it through.

What Dick did... well it made sense.

The less people who know about the plan the better. The more of them who truly believed Kaldur to be a traitor and Artemis to be dead-- the better the Light would believe it as well. Yes, he understood now.

But it was too little, too late. And now? Now his brother may never want to see him again.

A glass was set before him and Tim turned his head to glance at it.

"At least drink this."

Tim glanced up at Alfred before reluctantly grabbing the glass of juice and taking a small sip.

The moment the taste of apple juice hit Tim's mouth the phone in the kitchen started ringing.

Alfred glanced toward the kitchen before looking back at his youngest charge.

"Keep drinking that young man, I will be right back."

Tim merely made a non-committal noise before taking another sip. He rubbed at his face and was in the process of taking another sip when Alfred came back into the dining room, a lighter look on his face.

"Master Dick wishes to see you!"

And Tim nearly spit out his drink.