29

29

Up, to greater heights,
And greater follies unseen.
See warnings and fear.
- Rasakūn.

Another keyhole presented itself upon inspecting the inner structure and Drellis, this time, used the key. A gate opened, folding in upon itself to reveal an empty square space within. With caution, Drellis looked inside and then stepped in. Yurivno followed and turned on her heel to look around, from side to side, top to bottom.

"You say this is like a 'cargo lift'. What do you expect it to do?" Drellis had found yet another hole that the key looked as though it would fit in. He crouched before it, tapping the key in his palm. "I have to say, I've seen nothing like this in my entire career. I'm at a loss."

"The ones at Tarkar's Bridge move up and down between the various landings." She, too, crouched, her fingers running over a gap between the floor outside and the inside the lift. "I would assume this does the same."

Once more, she stood, looking up through the mesh of the roof of the box. The shaft, created by the metal structure, continued high above their heads. She glanced at the people outside the lift. Tuccé seemed to find it confusing, not understanding what Yurivno meant. Sakicho and Akemio looked on with stoic expressions, their faces revealing nothing. The three soldiers carrying the bags looked terrified.

She couldn't blame them. This must seem unlike anything they had ever seen, especially on this island, where mages were few and far between. Where there were as few followers and priests of the Patrons, their immortal-given gifts seen by few people upon the island. Magic, machines like 'lifts' were strange and unseen, for the most part, by these people.

"Well, we must follow where the trail leads." Urging the others into the mesh box, Drellis stood, waiting. "All of you, inside."

Tuccé entered, his foot hovering before the gap in the floor, but he stepped in, moving to Yurivno's side. Sakicho entered next, taking his place at Drellis' shoulder. Akemio hesitated only to look toward the doors where they all assumed the rest of the soldiers had disappeared into to search for the old woman. The three soldiers cowered outside, sharing fear-filled glances, only for Akemio to turn his attention from the doors and push the soldiers into the box.

Once all were inside, Drellis gave them all one, final look and pushed the key into the keyhole.

The gate that had folded open, now folded closed again, causing the soldiers to murmur between themselves. As the metal gate clanged against the metal of the frame, the entire box shuddered. One of the soldiers began to panic, dropping the bag he carried, and launched himself at the gate, gripping the thick metal strips, trying to drag the gate open.

Akemio grabbed the man, turning him around and then slapped him, back-handed, across his face. The man fell to his knees in the cramped space, moaning, bowing his head in shame while the other two soldiers stared at him, muttering prayers to the Divine Spirits. Then, the box shuddered again and, with metallic screeches, began to move.

Yurivno felt Tuccé grip the sleeve of her jacket and she realised, despite stepping in to the box first, how scared he seemed, too. She hadn't forgiven him, couldn't, but she placed her hand upon his, offering a little comfort as the box continued to rise, higher towards the roof of the dome.

"Why did you help?" Leaning in, she whispered into his ear, hoping that talking would help him to return to a state of calm. "You were so against all this, yet you opened the door. Why?"

"Because White Eye had made her move." He made an exaggerated swallow as he looked to her, whispering his reply. "She kept saying it wasn't time, and she was right. Of course she was right. I have to trust she knows what she's doing."