Twelfth

I just couldn't believe such case could happen until I saw the empty, messy place of Rebecca with my Mom crying next to it, sitting on a chair.

Eddie was shaking all along as he told us what had happened. I could only guess from his sentences while Morpheus found out the figure between the case right away.

Maybe it was because he got used to my family, maybe because it was one of his long-time enemies, I wasn't sure. All I knew for sure was him putting an end to this problem.

Starting out from the way he sat down with my brother, father and mom to the table, asking them more questions, more details. Let's be honest, he wouldn't do that normally.

I made some tea for all of us, warming up some of the leftover bakery goodies Mom had baked yesterday. When everyone had a mug, full of steaming, lemon flavoured tea, I sat down beside Dream. His every muscle was tense, his gaze focused just on the case.

I simply patted his back, listening to the conversation in silence.

"So the entrances were all locked?" Morpheus inquired, changing his ice-blue gaze between my parents.

They both nodded. Dad continued. "I always check myself ever since the kids were born. It's a silly habit, but it gives me relief"

A loud, well-noticable'hmm' sound left Dream's mouth. Even though I was an outside viewer, I could imagine how sedolous the cogwheels in his brain worked, no time to stop.

"It could have been either Lucifer Morningstar, Desire or one of their little pets" Morpheus spat in anger. If it was possible, his head would have been boiling from anger.

Well, rivalry is never a good thing. Especially gods I guess.

"Oh dear" my mother took an exhausted, deep breath. Her always joyful gaze was then filled with sorrow, worry and much, much more negative emotions. She leaned her head against Dad's shoulder, him patting her gently. "Why didn't the stuped television tell us about such special criminals roaming around?!"

I gulped.

My heart was beating as quick as possible. Mainly since I wanted to tell my parents that it wasn't some sort of typical criminal with idiotic nickname. That it was the real Lucifer, the ruler of the underworld, trying to cause bad times for Morpheus. My chest was aching from the emotions held back.

Still, I didn't have the slightest idea how to tell them such fact that the man by my side isn't a simple emo, but a god and king in one. That he is as old as time, knowing all of us from the moment we first fell asleep.

Not to mention the fact that he accidentally gave me superpowers as well. They are understanding, that's for sure, but hearing such story, I doubt they would believe me.

So we changed glances, took deep breaths and played along.

"It's a not so well known criminal just yet" I added. "Morpheus knows about it since he almost... uhm, witnessed their attack"

Woah. Good save, girl.

I got the same, proud expression from the god himself, gently patting my legs. Chill ran up my entire body, the good kind of chill. "Exactly. And I'd like to repay my pride by saving Rebecca"

And with that, we said our goodbyes, insisting on doing this little research just the two of us. It was way too cruel to reject my brother's help – after all, it was his beloved one in danger. I would have made the same show of almost crying to bring myself with the investigating team, it was sure.

And we would have brought Eddie with us – if it was a simple investigation.

But not to a tour in Hell itself.