𝙁𝙊𝙍𝙏𝙔

Start from the beginning

Finally, and probably the sadness hello, was Reuben.

"I'm sorry."

The words flew out of my mouth as fast as he flew to me. He wrapped me in a hug so tight it hurt to breath, but I didn't even consider telling him that. I sobbed into his chest, the wall I'd built up finally cracking.

"Don't ever apologize for loving someone, more maybe a whole group of people, hard enough to sacrifice yourself, you hear me, Lilah Kazansky?" he asked, his tone hard. "What you did saved us, and you saved him. There is nothing to be sorry for."

I managed to nod before I buried my head into his chest again. He stroked my hair gently. The crowd started to die down when I finally let go of him.

I took a few steps away from him.

Maverick was already staring at me, tears in his eyes. I took a few shuttering steps towards him. As Maverick ran the last few feet towards me, I wept.

Maverick didn't try to hide his tears, the shaking the overtook us both as he collided with me and embraced his goddaughter.

He held me.

He held the last piece of Ice.

And I let him.

"I knew you'd do it," Maverick's voice was raw as he met my eyes. "I knew you'd find a way. For all of it. For the mission, for saving Bradley, I knew you would do it."

I smiled, the words that I wanted to say stuck in my throat.

"Never let that spirit die, there's a reason you were your grandfather's favorite," Maverick said, helping me off the ground.

"Thank you, Maverick, for being there when he couldn't. You might not be Granddaddy, or my father, but you're Maverick, and you're all I got left." I sighed, leaning onto his shoulder.

I felt him smile as he helped me over to where everyone was. He dropped me off next to Jake, who immediately wrapped his arm around me shoulder in support. Nat took the other side, giving me a smile.

"Chalked yourself up another kill," Bradley said, a smirk playing across his lips as he scowled.

"That makes two."

Phoenix peered over my shoulder up at Hangman. "Maverick has five. That makes him an Ace."

Hangman was about to reply, no doubt with something snarky when I cut him off, "I have 10."

Bradley shook his head, proud swelling in his gaze to me. Even Jake started laughing as Bradley picked me up into his arms. Natasha threw her arms around Jake and he hoisted her up, spinning her around.

I rested my head on Bradley's shoulder, giggling at her pink cheek. "How would've guessed."

"I did," Bradley whispered into my ear. "I owe Seresin 15 bucks now."

"Oh, you idiot," I snickered, kissing him on the forehead. I reached my hand up and placed it on the back of his neck as he carried me over to Maverick.

Bradley set me down and I leaned onto him, closing me eyes. Maverick took Bradley into a hug the best he could, and then kissed me on the head. I winced as he did so.

"Let's get you to the infirmary, Lilah."

Bradley rushed forward, picking me back up as I my knees finally gave out. He brushed the hair out of my eyes and off my forehead.

"I'm fine, we're all okay. I can't even feel anything." I tried to object, struggling to slide out of Bradley's tight grasp. Maverick and Bradley shared a look. I glared. "Don't do that, don't gang up on me. I just saved your fucking life, Bradley Bradshaw. I'd be a little more thankful if I was you."

"Well, almost dying didn't take away her spirit." Bradley grumbled, and if possible he pulled me tighter into him.

"I didn't almost die."

"Yes, you did and you're going to the infirmary."

"No, I'm done with hospital's. I hate them, they smell weird. Plus, I don't even need to be in one."

A lie.

My whole body ached.

And it was getting harder and harder to keep my eyes from drooping.

"I'm not leaving you. Not again."

My mouth tightened. "You never left me, Bradley." I shook my head once, sending a few tears slipping down my cheeks. "You never left me."

Whatever words came out of his mouth next were lost. Exhaustion and pain dragged me under as I felt a pick of something in my arm and a nice, soft surface underneath me. 

one more very short chapter until we reach the epilogue's. 

hope y'all enjoy this and pray that I don't fail my exams. 

love y'all - mads.