VI - Vis á Vis

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Lawrence's voice cracks as he observes Bassey's sullen eyes under the yellow bulb of her front porch.

Bassey shrugs, "I wouldn't know until I take these heels off. Reality hits when you are off the high."

     "Okay. Do you want to take the shoes off now?"

Tilting her head to the side, "You really want to know, huh?"

     "Absolutely," Lawrence's brows crinkle in seriousness, "I could help with that," he adds, dreading to watch Bassey's cleavage spill when she bends.

Amused, Bassey stretches out her right leg.

     "This is not off-brand at all you know," Lawrence rambles as he unbuckles the maroon straps of Bassey's heels, trying not to linger his touch against each foot, "Jesus washed his disciples' feet."

Bare soles on the concrete floor, Bassey lets go of a breath she has been holding throughout the night.

     "Pastor Lawrence."

     "Yes, Bassey."

     "I'll be fine," she announces, "You have nothing to worry about."

     "What if you get a different realization when you take off your clothes?"

     "Well, that's why you will pray for me."

     "What should I pray for?"

     "A clean slate would be nice. Really nice."

Lawrence takes a quick image of him on his knees, bent over his bed, praying for Bassey. Would he picture her? Yes. Would the image be a collage of the three versions of her he has met in the past twenty-four hours? Absolutely. Which slide would stick out the most? Tonight's maybe. A clean slate? I would need that too.

Lawrence hugs his arms, "I'll do just that."

     "Thank you, pastor," tilting her head to the side she adds, "I'm glad you came."

Lawrence lifts the aluminum pack of leftover coconut rice to his eye level. Squinting, he responds, "I'm glad I came too."

Bassey chuckles softly, "It's nice to know you are such a foodie."

     "I wasn't done with my list," Lawrence protests, "I was going to point at you and say that I'm glad I came too. And then mention the twins and Oto-Obong and your cat."

     "Is that so?"

     "Yes now."

Lawrence pinches his nose in a bid to suppress the flutter around his chest at Bassey's full smile.

     "I have an early routine tomorrow. I should go already."

     "Oh yeah. Good night pastor. See you in church on Sunday."

Lawrence's eyes widen. Then his face breaks into the most genuine smile Bassey has ever seen. Bassey is not sure but she could swear that she caught him dancing as he stalked into the darkness.

Colette and Oto-Obong hush their whispers as Bassey returns, shoes in one hand.

"Bassey come and sit down small. You can talk to your man later," Colette cajoles.

Bassey hops on the empty couch hoping a little gossip with her university friend and husband will give her heart a break from pounding.

"I'll tell you this for free," Oto-Obong starts with a smile on his face, "Akamba was not jealous for nothing. That your pastor might actually like you."