IV - This Table Before You

"AK, ame ked awan mfo, look at your wife. That must be that dress you bought for her. You have eyes for good things ooo, just like your father..." Mrs. Bella Umoren is rattling, in a bid to smoother, with words, the growing tension she has noticed in Akamba's demeanor.

The click-clack of Bassey's 6 inches heels as well as Mrs. Bella's loud remarks, is overshadowed by Iyzeek's 'Insane' playing in the background.

Bassey strides—in sync with the beat—towards the side of her house, lit with red-faceted bulbs for her housewarming party.

All the nine invitees except Lawrence, who had canceled to the note that he will be caught up in a impromptu pastor's meeting, have arrived.

The formally dressed guests are chatting in two-and-a-quarter clusters—the Dominics, the Umorens, and Ben Inemesit.

Akamba Umoren is leaning on the black speaker. His eyes fixate on Bassey. He groans at the way the silk maroon dress on Bassey opens with every step, revealing her toned legs and thighs.

As if just hearing his mother for the first time Akamba retorts, "I can never buy that kind of dress for Bassey."

     "Why not?" His father, Jacob Umoren questions, chuckling a bit.

     "You know why."

Akamba leaves his parents' side as Bassey approaches the party area. The group of eight soon gather around the table, throwing excited gestures at Bassey.

"Someone should put off this music. I don't know what young people are listening to these days," Jacob Umoren bellows.

"It's trap, sir. It's good music," Oto-Obong Dominic tells Jacob as he pauses the song on his Boomplay app.

"NEVER again should we wait for Bassey to dress up if our dinner depends on it. Now, my blood sugar is low," Colette Umoren chirps before pulling Bassey into a lingering hug. "Girl, I've missed you!"

"Please don't make me cry," Bassey whispers.

"Your tears are fake if you won't follow me back to Uyo."

"Colette and Bassey abeg, let's eat now. You have the rest of the night to do bestie bestie," Ben Inemesit, Bassey's fraternal twin sister, chides the duo through gritted teeth.

"The rest of the night? When Akamba is here?" Colette jokes. Mrs. Bella's laugh is the loudest of the group. Bassey gives a small smile before settling in her chair.

The sound of the fork to plate and spoon to plater that punctuates Oto-Obong's small chatter about Batman with his son, Jayden, makes Bassey's head twirl.

Why is no one talking?

Even Colette is unusually quiet.

Downing the last drops of Decan de Espana, Bassey decides to give her rehearsed speech. She clinks her fork on the now-empty wine glass like people do when they have an announcement to make.

Everyone looks up at her, smiling. She clears her throat.

      "Well, I'll like to say that I am really grateful to all of you for coming to celebrate this phase of my life. It has been a super rough couple of weeks but I have pulled through with the help of God and your support."

Akamba makes a tired sound.

Ignoring him, Bassey continues, "I know that this move came as a shocker to most of you but I'd like you to know it is for the best. I have thought about it and this is my assured position."

"Will you visit us for Christmas?" Jayden asks through missing incisors.

"Of course, I will," Bassey says, "just reserve my favorite food."