Chapter 17: Reflection

"Almost back up to the present now aren't we?" The interviewer asks.

"Almost, there were a few things that happened after the battle," Lydia says.

"Yes, things that still need to be addressed," I say in a low tone, glaring at Lydia.

"Okay, things like what?" The interviewer asks.

For one, there was the damage the city received, and what survivors we had we used to pull things back together. The walls needed repair, the city itself, everything may as well be built from nothing again. Zulu and the others began talks of how to deal with eventually an even more powerful version of Maxus. I of course told them I would handle it but they weren't so sure.

I was missing an arm, and I barely won the last fight as it was. They felt more comfortable training up Zulu or Lydia, but we didn't know how much time we had. The fact of the matter was, no amount of time would be enough. I was strongest, even weakened and broken, I was strongest.

Zulu got into an argument about it with me one day. I tried to keep things quiet to not let others know we were butting heads but that wasn't in his plans.

"We're both getting old Diane! It's time for one of the younger ones to step up, and take the reins." He argues.

"Now is not the time! They are far from ready and our entire race is at stake!" I argue back.

"Oh, and you are? Are you ready to lose another arm again? Or a leg?" He snorts. My energy flares and the gaps between every brick in the city strike ablaze and then die out. Zulu tenses before Lydia comes up behind him and places a hand on his shoulder.

"As much as I'd love to help in this battle, if he's going to come back stronger than last time then I have as much a chance of stopping him as I did this time. The most we can do for Diane is buy her time if she needs to recharge." Lydia looks at me and nods. My energy calms and I realize how quickly my powers spiraled. This was my price for letting my energy surge through me unmanaged. It was taking pieces of me away along with it as it flowed through me. My humanity was silenced as my own anger was expanded by magic, growing, festering my hate for the normals. By extension, my hate for anything threatening my power was also heightened. I was the strongest, now and always.

Zulu rips his shoulder free of Lydia and storms off, the small buzz of watchers also disperses. Lydia sighs in relief and scratches the back of her head. If I were to train Lydia or Zulu to be strong enough to face Maxus at any point, I'd have to run them ragged. It couldn't be slow training, running through the motions, they'd need to fight, be pushed, and the only person near Maxus now was me. Then again I needed to train on my own as well. I couldn't fail again. I couldn't count on luck to save me again.

I awake once again, an unknown amount of time has passed but the doctors would tell me soon. For the last time. I could feel my new strength pulsing through my new body before the pod even opens.

When it does, the pod lets out a snake-like hiss, and light bursts into my darkened chamber. The outside is warm against my skin, and an array of lab coats and uniforms greet me.

"Good morning Maxus. It has been one month since your last awakening. We have once again begun working on a stronger version of ourselves in the event of another failed trial. Although after analyzing the data, I doubt such an act will be necessary." Ah, calm and collected Mila, her clear and crisp voice is always nice to hear upon an awakening. I will miss her voice.

"Have we drained any more subjects?" I ask, stretching my new muscles, they feel good and strong.

"We drained two of the stronger subjects along with five of the lesser ones but subject six-two-six continues to provide a great amount of power for your growth." She says as she organizes data on a computer, typing away quickly like always. Do not worry girl, your work will soon be done.