Thirteen

Olivia was withdrawn during the rest of dinner, and she didn't speak to anyone until the next morning. Elliot found her sitting cross-legged in their bed after he took Ava a few floors down to her friend's apartment.

"Hey there, honey. How are you doing?" Elliot asked softly. Olivia looked up from where her hands laid in her lap, and locked eyes with her boyfriend.

"Not great," she admitted.

"You must be shocked that your mother is alive and well... that you have a little sister," Elliot spoke, as he moved to Olivia's side. He sat beside her and gently caressed her messy brown hair.

"No one spoke to me about my family, since we were all focused on Kevin's family and Ava... but I've been getting calls for almost four weeks from her, and I got annoyed enough last night to answer. I expected to hear Dana or Kevin's voice... not my mother's," Olivia sniffled. She dropped her eyes again, but Elliot wasn't allowing her to shut down again.

He gently touched her chin and tilted her head up to look at him. He gave her a gentle smile before kissing her lips.

"Everything will be okay, Olivia. I will help you process this all, and hopefully soon. Since you have your entire pregnancy to enjoy, and the last thing you want is to be zoned out during the entire thing."

"Jennifer is twenty-eight, I think. She's grown up without me around, so who says she even wants to be my sister?"

"I think she will, Liv. You are an amazing person, and Jennifer would be lucky to be your sister!" Elliot exclaimed, before he looped his arms around Olivia's body and held her close. He rocked their bodies for a while before stopping when Olivia sighed.

"If this works out, I may have my mother there when our baby is born... I don't think anyone was there when Ava and I almost died..." Olivia trailed off as she looked up at Elliot. He grinned and nodded.

"Maybe you could break her hand instead of mine," He teased, before leaning down and kissing the tip of her nose.

///

Olivia didn't call her mother back until Monday. She had just gotten home for her appointment to confirm the viability of her pregnancy, so she was happy and ready to talk.

"Hello?" Serena asked once she answered the call. Olivia took a slow breath before speaking.

"Hi, it's Olivia."

"I-i i didn't think you'd call me back... how are you?" Serena questioned nervously.

"I'm happy..."

"Honey-"

"I'm scared to talk to you, Mom. To find out about a past that no one mentioned to me, until you called and told me yourself. My ex and his parents, the ones that planned out the whole kidnapping... they didn't tell me about you."

"They didn't know about me, sweetie. When you moved out at eighteen, you didn't call or contact us. I don't know why, but you didn't."

"How did my father die?" Olivia asked softly.

"He was killed while deployed in the Middle East. He was in the army, and it was just you and me when he passed since I wasn't in halfway through my pregnancy with Jennifer," Serena explained, tears in her voice.

"What was his name?"

"Oliver Michael Benson... we thought you were going to be a boy, so you were going to be Oliver Michael Benson Jr... but then you came out as a girl so we changed that up real quick," Serena laughed softly.

Olivia blinked away tears and thought about her father. She wondered if she looked like him at all, or looked more like her mother.

"Liv?" Serena asked, since her daughter hadn't spoken in a few moments.

"Where are you?" She questioned.

"I live in DC so I can be closer to your sister. She joined the army when she graduated from high school, and she's stationed here."

"My daughter is at school, so I'm going to get a train ticket and come down... Probably not today but-"

"You have a daughter?"

"Yes, Ava. She's six, and she's so cute. I'm also pregnant."

"Olivia! You always dreamed of being a mother, and now you are one! Baby-"

"I want to see you face to face, Mom. So please, let's plan a day for me to come down and-"

"No, I'm coming up. I'll be there tomorrow morning. Just give me a time and place to meet you, and I'll be there."

"I'll give you my address."

///

When Elliot got home from work, Olivia and Ava were cleaning the apartment. They were discussing what was happening tomorrow, and Elliot was shocked when he heard Olivia say that her mother was coming to their apartment tomorrow.

"Hey, loves. What's happening?" Elliot asked as he hung his jacket up.

"Mama's mom is coming tomorrow! They are going to talk!" Ava exclaimed.

"Liv?"

"I called her back today because I was happy after my appointment. We talked about my father, and how she doesn't even know why I left home and didn't look back."

"I guess I will take tomorrow-" Elliot started, but Olivia stopped him.

"I want to do this alone, El. I need to meet my mother and discuss things that may make me cry, and I don't want you witnessing that. Okay?"

"Mama is even making me go to school, and she loves me more than you," Ava sighed, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"You are trouble, Ms. Benson," Elliot growled, as he chased his daughter before grabbing her by her waist and tugging her close.

Olivia watched and smiled as she saw her partner with their child. She hoped that maybe tomorrow her mother could give her some insight on the family she was once a part of. She was wondering if maybe her father used to chase her around their living room and pull her close, like Elliot does to Ava.

"Liv?" Elliot asked, as he caught Olivia zoned out on them.

"Yeah, sorry. I'm fine, just happy. Let's finish cleaning, and then I thought we could go out for dinner. I'm assuming Ava could go for some chicken tenders," Olivia smiled, which earned a loud cheer from her daughter.

"C'mon, Daddy! Help us so we can get out of here faster!"