Chapter 6: Tsk, Free Periods

Our free period before pottery was used to fill Jake and Cole in on the school's current situation. Social Hierarchy wise.

"Wait," Cole said, brushing his black hair to the side. "So, a Japanese guy is the head of the school?"

"Half-Japanese." Mia corrected, munching on a pack of Doritos. "'Sides, is there anything wrong with that? Are you racist?"

Cole reeled back in shock. "What?!No!"

My grey eyes met green ones as Jake and I shook our heads at their bickering. Cole turned to me, blue eyes sparkling in amusement.

"Minnette."

My eyes moved to him, showing he had my attention. There was a glint in his eyes.

I know that look.

"Got a boyfriend yet?"

.....

"No. I assume you don't have a girlfriend in England either."

When Jake got suspended, Cole moved to England because 'He couldn't live without his best friend', or so he said.

He frowned. "Don't assume. I have a girlfriend."

I raised an eyebrow. "Have or Had?"

Jake laughed while Mia smiled. Cole reached across to smack me playfully. "Now this is the kind of banter I missed. Why can't you be like her, Jake?"

Jake rolled his eyes before putting some spaghetti in his mouth. "I'm her mentor."

I punched him.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"Don't talk with food in your mouth." I scolded, scowling at them. "That goes to all of you. It seems you've forgotten your table manners."

"Yes, Mom." they all chorused.

Jake opened his mouth to say something but stopped, his gaze at something behind me. I turned around, meeting brown-rimmed glasses, brown eyes and blue hair.

Shawn Akota.

I tried smiling. "Uh....Do you....need anything?"

He smiled nervously, scratching the back of his neck as he spoke. "We need to decide on which topic we'll be discussing for the project."

Oh. I totally forgot about that.

I pressed my lips into a thin line as Jake began speaking, in my place. "Dude, can't you see she's busy?"

Shawn opened his mouth again but Cole beat him to it. "Plus, she's eating and already preoccupied talking to us." his tone being passive-aggressive.

I signaled for them to stop because I knew Mia was itching to join in. They looked away, frowns now evident on their faces.

"Why do you need to discuss the project now anyways?"

Mia. Don't.

"Because–" he started, but was cut off. Again.

"Or is it because you're just lonely? Having no friends can be hard." Mia smiled, her smile looking so fake.

His eyebrow twitched and smiles appeared on their faces.

God. The three of them are such a handful.

This is one of the reasons why the whole population of RickWood High did not miss this little squad at all.

We annoyed people.

A lot.

Jake and Cole were the main instigators; Mia and I just liked to join in on the fun. It was fun seeing them realize we weren't the quiet girls they thought us to be. Our set's boomers already know how we are but, the current leading trio came just a few years back.

They didn't really know what we could do.

That's why we needed to keep up the act.

"Sorry, but I'm not free at the moment. If you'd like to book an appointment, my secretaries are right here." I said, pointing to the three of them, smiling at him.

Shawn was the calmest of the group but we all know that those kind of people are the most dangerous.

Why?

Because you never know what they're reaction would be.

And....he was surprisingly good at keeping calm. That's what we hated most about him.

"Sheesh, what a sore loser." Mia eyed him in disdain as he walked away from us. "Look at him, clenching his hands. If you want to swing a punch, just do it." She added, facepalming at the end.

"So, this is one of the people 'ruling' the school?" Cole asked, ruling in air-quotes, a frown evident on his face.

I sighed, placing a hand on my fork. "I'm just going to eat. We have Pottery next."

"Oh yeah, Pottery. I'm so excited." Mia rolled her eyes and gagged.

Mia has it worse if you ask me.

Why? Cos she has to suck up to them. That's her role.

We all had one.

But, I still didn't know what she did that day before I got to her house.

"I really hope you didn't do anything stupid."

She turned to me, frustrated. "Are we still on that?!"

"Yes." My reply was followed with a sigh as she rubbed her temples.

"Ok, I'll tell you." Yes!

"What are you guys talking about?"

We turned to see Cole and Jake staring at us with bewildered expressions on their faces. I facepalmed.

I forgot they didn't know.

The bell rung.

Tsk, free periods.