Chapter 3: New Arrangements

The expression on Nadia's face was incomprehensible as she turned to face our teacher that had just arrived. The room had become dead silent and she stood up and sheepishly skittered towards her seat in the middle of the class.

Professor Rik took two strides, plopped his bag on his desk, and pushed up his glasses clearing his throat. "Hello, students. I trust you all have your reviews for 'The Midnight Summer Dream' ready for me."

Most people paled which led me to the conclusion that only a few people had completed the assignment. Guess they shouldn't have gone to that sophomore party last night.

Everyone quickly took their seats and Professor Rik immediately called upon the first person. "Nadia. To the podium. With your review."

What she did next was shocking, to say the least. Nadia carried her chair, walked to the class's front, and knelt while holding the chair up.

"I didn't tell you to kneel, Nadia."

"Yeah, but I already know I'm getting a fat zero and some punishment. Might as well start now."

"Get up."

"No, you're just trying to test me, aren't you?"

He moved to his seat and smirked, ruffling his hair. "Fine, suit yourself. You'd want to be kneeling when Oxford's representative gets here."

"What?!" she shrieked scrambling to her feet and immediately running to her desk. "How come no one told us?"

"That's because you aren't meant to know. Now, sit."

She complied without hesitating, dusting her grey skirt. I noticed Aki took a glance at her before shaking his head and laughing.

"Don't do that."

I turned to look at Shawn who looked somewhat confused. "Hmm?"

"You just furrowed your brows. It doesn't suit you."

"Thank you?"

The door swung open and a middle-aged lady entered the classroom, with a young man behind her carrying a bunch of papers.

"Good morning."

"Good morning to you too, class. I hope your day has been good so far. Will you all step out, please?"

We all trudged to the front of the classroom as the lady stretched out her hand receiving a binder from the man standing beside her. "You all are going to do a project and you will be in groups of 3. This project is going to have 2 sections; Oral and Written. I will now call the names."

After a series of names, I was finally called with two other names I knew well.

"Minnie Rae Woods, Shawn Akota, and Aki Izumi."

I paled as the guy who I had so desperately tried to avoid was now going to be closer to me than ever. Curse you, Mia.

She finished calling the names and Nadia was in the same group as some extras. Immediately the bell rung, Shawn called out my name as I was advancing to leave.

"Minnie! Shouldn't we discuss the project?" he asked as I shook my head in response. Now was not the time. I heard an all-too-familiar giggle that stopped abruptly, making me turn around. Geez, Mia, you really had bad timing.

Her eyes glanced at the two boys that were following me before locking with mine. They screamed confusion and fear.