Chapter 5: Freaking Jake Halle

Nadia was standing before us with home-made food in her tray and a lollipop in her mouth. She walked forward and sat down beside us. "You know, I really like the both of you. You have this chill vibe."

Mia's green eyes lit up in awe and she quickly scooted to give her some space. With the way she acted, you could tell she was someone that adored the popular kids. You can imagine getting a compliment.

Unfortunately, she was the one who made us become prey to one of them.

"Really? You think I'm chill?" Her pearl whites showing as she beamed. Nadia tucked a loose strand of her hair away as she bit out of her sandwich, nodding in response. I shook my head and turned to my food tuning out the conversation.

Honestly, Nadia was cool. I just didn't want to interact with human beings for like 10 minutes. By the time I tuned back in, they had already begun to talk about The Kardashians and their latest drama.

I was about to tune out again when the door burst open momentarily stopping their chatter. My aunt's a therapist and she told me how people acted when they were scared.

Which is how I knew Mia was terrified.

Her body involuntarily trembled and beads of sweat had started to form on her face. Her usual habit of wringing her hands when she was nervous was brought into play. She rushed to stand up but her clumsiness had other plans and she ended up spilling her grape juice on her dress.

I turned to see who had such an effect on Mia and froze.

It was Jake Halle.

Freaking Jake Halle.

I stayed there for a few seconds before my brain started functioning again. I stood up carefully ; in case my own clumsiness wanted to act up and took Mia's hand.

If Mia was uncomfortable, then we're out of here. He can see us another time.

"Hey, where are you guys going? And who the heck is this guy?"

I ignored Nadia and just carried on dreading when I would reach where he stood. I looked up; away from the floor and met piercing green eyes that were covered by the tip of his brown hair. He had his arms folded over his chest and an amused smile on his face.

Probably at our flimsy attempt to get away.

"Mimi."

Can't he just call me 'Minnette'?

His outstretched arm stopped us from moving any further. He looked down at me since he was significantly taller than me. "You have got to stop running away from me."

I looked up smiling nervously. "We have this important workshop class, right Mia?"  She nodded vigorously, not wanting to speak.

"Right. But according to Cole, you have a free period."

"You came back with Cole?!" Mia blurted out before covering her mouth.

He chuckled. "You don't have to be so uptight with me." he said moving to hug her.

She relaxed, wrapping her hands around him. "I know, it's just— ever since that fight, you scare me. A lot."

He sighed. "It's okay, M. I'm here now, and I'm not getting into anymore fights."

I scoffed.

Ever since we were little, Jake had always been a fighter. It didn't get better when he started aspiring to be a boxer.

He always held back when fighting people that pissed him off because of us. For example, Edward Buden.

Buden loved to pick on me and made Mia very uncomfortable, if you know what I mean. Jake didn't like that. In fact, he hated it.

And so, eventually, he snapped.

Which led to his 1-year suspension from school. Well, more like going to school from home.

Unfortunately, virtual classes exist.

"Did you get therapy?"

He turned to me, an incredulous look on his face. "No. Why would you think that?"

Mia gave me a confused look, while I grinned back. "You just said you weren't going to fight anymore. And for that to happen, you had to have gotten therapy."

He glared at me. "I see you're still the same, Mimi."

"I can't say the same for you, Peacock."

"Wait, why 'Peacock'?"

The bell stopped me from answering and Nadia walked past us. "I'll see you guys in Pottery."

Mia waved excitedly. "See you!"

"Let me guess. She's popular." Jake states, shaking his head.

I nod in response.

"Are we going to class or not? Nadia's waiting." Mia dragged me down the stairs. "Come on, Jake."

"Coming!"