Chapter 5 || Reason v

You guys are absolutely phenomenal.

(P.S. @Obsessedwith5boys happy birthday love)

--

The fifth day is something different. It starts out differently, but unlike yesterday, it was a better start. It's a Thursday, for one, meaning the weekend was coming soon- and that caused both lads a bit of anxiety, already quite attached to one another. Niall sees Harry at the entrance to the school, and even better yet is the fact that Harry doesn't seem to have any new bruises that he can see. Harry does, but he doesn't let the blonde onto that little fact, knowing that it was better this way. The end of the year is quickly approaching, and the weather has taken a turn for the better. Everything just seems a bit more uplifting to Niall, he has a new point of view.

Niall never really asked what had happened to Harry the day before, not wanting to push the lad or push him away because of curiosity. He figured he would take what he could get, enjoy the happiness while it was still there. It seemed his life was looking up- to Niall at least- he didn't get beaten, and he had a new friend that liked to see him smile. Everything was working out okay. He thinks that maybe, just maybe, with the help of Harry he can make it to the end of this year, and then escape from this little town- with Harry and Liam at his side.

They laughed and smiled all the way to Niall's locker, something that seemed so foreign to the blonde. It had been so long since he had truly laughed and smiled so much- so genuinely- even around Liam and his mother. They joked around a bit as Niall got all his books, and the blonde briefly wondered why Harry never seemed to go to his own locker, but the thought was gone as soon as Harry told another cheesy joke that had him laughing at the stupidity of it.

The warning bell rang, meaning the lads had to make their way to class. Like always- meaning since Monday when this had become routine- Harry walked the blonde to class, uncaring of the fact that he would get in trouble for being late again. At the door they parted ways, Harry handing him a small folded piece of paper.

"It's not what you think it is. But hopefully it makes you smile just the same." He had answered, in response to the small smile on Niall's lips. The response didn't deter Niall's smile, and for that Harry was grateful. This time he parted with a hug, and a small peck on the cheek, a cute pink blush dusting the blonde's face right after. Harry smiled, and walked away to his own class, while Niall watched his retreating form before walking to his own seat. He carefully unfolded the note, smiling as he read it.

'It's not another reason, not yet at least. But hopefully its just as good. It's my number, so you can call or text whenever you need or want to.' And attached was a phone number. Niall smiled widely, happy for the step up in their friendship. Niall never voiced his thoughts, but he was always worried that something about this would go awry. That Harry would get tired of him, or Harry never really cared in the first place. Sadness was something that demanded to be felt, causing racing thoughts and doubts to swim in his mind. Fortunately, this would help lessen those thoughts.

He quickly pulled out his phone, typing in the number and saving it before sending Harry a message to let him know that it was him. He got a 'hello :)' in response and he smiled. It was a small gesture, a little hello but to Niall it meant the world. He had someone that really cared. They texted a bit more, talking about Niall's class and teachers, what they wanted to do once they got out of here. It lasted for about half the class before Niall was distracted.

A group of girls laughed next to him, giggling and glancing over at him causing Niall to look at them questionably. He knew he wasn't popular, that many at the school didn't like him, but they never blatantly laughed at him like this. Not without something going on that he didn't know of. Liam said nothing about the group, also slightly confused about what was going on, so instead he paid attention to the ramblings of the teacher. A note was thrown on his desk, and Niall looked at it with furrowed brows before carefully picking it up. He opened the note, thinking that it couldn't be something nice. They weren't laughing with him, they were probably laughing at him.