Prologue

A blonde boy stands on the edge of a bridge, the water sloshing dangerously at the bottom around jagged rocks. He takes a deep breath, and slowly lets it out. His heart is thumping, with nerves or excitement he didn't know, but he did know that this was long overdue. At least, he thought he knew. His body ached, nose still bleeding a bit from the beating he had endured earlier.

No one would miss me he thinks except the people who need a punching bag. He snorts, a self-deprecating sad little snort. It seems I am needed. He laughs without humor, eyes dancing with the sadness that had yet to fade, much like his scars. Bruises littered his skin, and he briefly wondered what the people milling around him thought when they saw him. He wonders if they know what's running through his mind, if they can see the pain he has hidden for so long. He wonders if anyone will stop him, if anyone will come and ask if he's alright, or if they all just tell themselves he's just enjoying the scenery to help their consciences at night.

He smiles, despite what he's about to do, he's finally happy, he'll finally be free, and he's truly so excited at the prospect of being safe and happy and free that nothing else really matters. His older brother doesn't matter, the only one that would probably miss him, he doesn't think of Liam the only person he thinks he can consider a friend- although it's a bit of a recent finding. He doesn't think of the guilt that may consume his tormentor, if it hits him at all, or of his mother who probably wouldn't even know he's dead until the police bring his swollen mangled body to the morgue and tell her, too busy working to really ever see him anymore anyways. Even then, maybe they wouldn't notice, they probably wouldn't be home if a police man came anyways.

Niall thinks of all the times he's stood here, just watching the swirling water and thinking of what it would do to him if he jumped. He never had the courage, or cowardice as some would say, to actually follow through with what he's wanted to. His brother and Liam always on the forefront of his mind, stopping him from actually taking the leap. This time is different though, today had been the last straw, and not even the thought of Liam and his brother could stop him now. Not even the image of them breaking down because of him stops him, it won't stop him, now it barely deters him, causes him to linger just before the edge for just a moment before walking closer.

His hands clench, the cool metal of the railing cutting into his skin, forearms taunt, the muscles strained. He doesn't know how to do this, not really. Not without drawing some attention to himself, not without the risk of someone trying to be a hero and stopping him. But he's determined to do this, so he doesn't glance around, doesn't look to see if people are watching as he hoists himself up. He almost topples over completely, his heart pounding, but his grip stays firm on the rail and it's the only thing that saved him from toppling in head first. He wants to do it differently, doesn't want it to hurt to much, he's done with all the pain.

He feels peoples' gazes on him, so instead of going right over he sits on the rail and allows his legs to dangle over, swinging just a bit to try and show he's just enjoying the scenery. One short glance backwards show that most people have stopped watching, milling around and continuing their business. It gives him a sense of relief, but it also makes him angry. How people can just walk away, how people don't care about others. He could jump, and they would all just continue on with their days. It gives him hope for himself, but it takes all hope he had left in humanity away. He doesn't want to be saved, doesn't need to be saved, but it doesn't really change the fact that he would have liked if help was offered when he needed it. Maybe then he wouldn't be about to do this.

His heart is racing still, palms sweaty where they're holding the rail. He's nervous, nervous about what's to come. Thoughts of how much pain and what if it doesn't work flit through his mind. There's an anxious feeling in his stomach, it feels like a twisting, his leg bouncing slightly. He thinks back over his life, and he sighs. He wishes everything could have been different. He builds up his nerves, his courage, sliding forward just a bit so his butt rests halfway on the rail and half off, leaning toward the raging river. But then a hand clamps over his shoulder, he lets out a yelp, and then he's tugged backwards. The blonde tries to stop himself from falling, flailing his arms too hopefully stop the impact but it doesn't work that way really. But it doesn't work the way he thinks either. Strong arms catch him, holding him tightly to their muscled chest.

Niall didn't realize he had closed his eyes but he had, and when he opens them he's met with the most breathtaking shade of green he's ever seen. But the eyes don't show happiness, they show sadness and anger and concern, a bit of adoration. They scare Niall, because really, he's never seen this lad before, and for all he knows the lad may just want to hit him around some more before he throws Niall over that railing personally. He shivers, fear now coursing through him, but the lad makes no move to hurt him, lowering them both to the ground. He raises a hand up, to run through the blonde hair when Niall flinches, squeaks in fear.

"Please don't hurt me." He whimpers, and the curly haired boy freezes, heart contracting at the pain in the lad's voice.

"Why would I hurt you?" He questions, green eyes full of sorrow at the hurt in the blonde's eyes.

"Everyone does." He whispers, not adding on even myself out loud.

"I'm not everyone." He answers back, a small calming smile on his face. "'M Harry." He adds, hoping to coax the beautiful broken boy in his arms to give a name as well.

"Niall." He adds quietly, eyes downcast, head on Harry's chest. He's curled up, almost in the fetal position, but Harry can't help but think he looks all too innocent like that.

"What were you doing?" He asks gently, already knowing the answer. Niall apparently knew that fact as well, because he just raises and eyebrow at the lad as to say really. Harry sighs at the response. "Why were you doing it then?"

Niall doesn't exactly know how to answer that really, so he shrugs. Instead opting to ask a question instead.

"Why did you stop me then?" He asks, causing a blush to spread over his cheeks.

"Because you're too beautiful to die."

"You don't know me." Niall bites back, and Harry deflates just a bit.

"I do. Well, I know you better than you think I do."

"You can't stop me."

"No I don't think I can." Harry says sadly, mind racing with how to stop the beautiful boy he's been smitten with from taking his life. An idea pops into his head, it's cheesy but it may just work.

"Give me 12 days, 12 days in which I convince you to stay and if by the end of it, you still want to go through with it I won't stop you. But I can't promise that I won't follow you." He says, hope filling his being. He can't just watch the love of his life end his own, not without fighting for him.

"You can only come up with 12 reasons?" Niall asks, a little bit of a smirk quirking at his lips. The curly headed boy only shakes his head wildly.

"If I tell you every reason, everything amazing I see in you, you'll have to live forever."