“Can’t chat now,” the alien said. “Saw the parents leave while coming. Good thing for me.” He got off the motorcycle and walked passed the couple, carrying a technical-looking briefcase and a black plastic bag. He stood seven feet tall and had to duck under the door jam, nearly bumping into Katie.

“Wait… come one. Why?” Scott tried to ask and went inside.

“No big problem, just taking over your big screen monitor.” Jaruka set the items on the coffee table (a brand new one) and opened the briefcase. Scott knew it’s the only communication device Jaruka had for off-world information. Scott wondered every time how it worked, including the three rings surrounding an oddly familiar purple crystal that caused the terran transformations across the world. Yet the Wave crystals can’t match the Slipspace crystal’s purpose.

In seconds, the ring device moved, purple light emitted from the crystal, and several beeps came from the device. Jaruka quickly made commands and stood up.

“We call it a television,” Katie cleared.

“Whatever, it’s mine for a few hours and you can’t do crap about it.” Jaruka stepped over a dog sleeping at the foot of the couch. Normal dog by sight, but also, it is Scott’s totem Keeji, a physical representation of a terran’s subconscious and will power. Keeji snored away after scaring animals away from the vineyard early morning, which still proved that he was useless for Scott.

“I’ll leave after the race is done,” Jaruka cleared.

“Race?”

“Howler Cycle race. It’s preliminary week,” Jaruka answered after connecting a small device to the LCD TV over the fireplace. Somehow Jaruka figured out the remote control and flip channels to the input feeds. A warning sign for Scott, either Jaruka finally accepted the earth’s Internet and read a owner’s manual, or the mercenary snuck in late at night and learned himself.

“Well why can’t you watch it at the ship? You know how mom and dad are when you’re here,” Katie reminded him, and Scott nodded.

Jaruka paused and looked up. “Uh… my monitors suffered spontaneous explosions.” He paused, looking around the living room, then continued with the TV. Jaruka’s device popped apart, but stayed together by soldered cables and crystals. “Don’t mind that, the homemade glue sucks.”

Katie whispered in Scott’s ear. “Meaning he had a temper tantrum again.” Scott nodded.

Picture on the big screen changed to what showed on the briefcase screen. “Good the connection works,” Jaruka said with a smile, then screamed at the ceiling, “Take that Wringheart! You’re not the only crack engineer in Nova!”

He sat back down, making the couch creak from his weight. Keeji still didn’t move. Inside the black bag were snacks from off world, some that made Scott’s stomach churn. One snack was a mix between a cockroach and hamster, roasted Scott believed. “Now be aware, I might get rowdy, so watch your faces.” He popped the cork on a bottle of homebrew he likes, sipped it, and laid back. Chewing on that described snack made Scott look away.

No matter of reasons would budge Jaruka from the couch watching an alien sportscast filled with aliens and technology other humans would die to see. Scott and Katie passed it on like it was an everyday thing. Although, Jaruka was well planted. And Scott learned earlier that fighting would not get him anywhere with him.

“So much for out somewhat peaceful day,” Scott whispered.

 “We can’t leave him alone,” Katie said.

Scott nodded. “Yeah. Wanna stay down here for a chance? You’ve been in your room for a long time, you need the fresh air.”

“I know, but me and Arana are close to completing enchanted item research,” Katie said, but that caused Scott some frustration.