Chapter 45 - Car chase

Start from the beginning

The overwhelming emotions of being in a cemetery could suck a person's energy. It would feel like you carried the problems of this world on your shoulders and without having a breathing space.

A gust of wind blew against my face, the crisp air making goosebumps to appear on my skin. The early October air was quite frigid despite the radiant rays of the sun shining brightly in the azure blue sky, casting a golden glow upon the beautiful streets of Rome with the lined up decent buildings.

Blade's mansion was located outside of Rome. It's obvious he didn't like to live in the city with the bustling crowd going about their business and the endless traffic.

He prefers to live in solitude with his family and friends. That's understandable.

My sneakers scraped across the asphalt as I shuffled over to Blade's SUV parked next to the curb. The street was full of colorful life and positive vibrations unlike the cemetery that's in a state of melancholy.

I got into the driver's seat of the SUV and slammed the door shut, leaning back against the seat and feathering my eyes close for a bit. I took off the red beanie from my head and tossed it to the passenger's seat. I thread my fingers through my blonde hair, opening my eyes to check out my reflection in the sideview mirror.

Then something caught my attention in the mirror. I straightened out as the same guy I bumped into at the cemetery waltzed back out through the iron fence and approached a black Lamborghini parked a few meters away from the SUV.

I couldn't still see his face because of the hoodie and the bandana tied around his nose downwards but as he got into his car, I caught sight of his blue eyes. The exact shade of mine which I still found weird. I could never forget who those eyes belonged to.

Armando Mancini.

What was he doing here? That question popped in my head as I watched as he got into his car and shut the door. The glasses of the Lamborghini was heavily tinted so I couldn't see him anymore. I looked away from the mirror and gripped the steering wheel tight while gritting my teeth together in annoyance.

That motherfucker! Of course he would stalk me! He's never tired of wanting to make my life a living hell. I would never forget he had a hand in Layla and I's abduction years ago. If Layla wasn't kidnapped then it wouldn't have caused her death so easily.

I wanted to march right over to him and wipe out his entire existence but I decided against it. Killing him can't definitely be that easy. Aside from that, there's just something about him that seems a bit off. I guess that's why I haven't put my plans of ending him into action yet.

Whatever it is, was quite unnerving.

Deciding to leave that issue for another day, I turned on the ignition and put the gear into drive, speeding down the road, the wind blowing through my hair and making it messy. That's how fast I was driving. I push some strands away from my face so it wouldn't shield my view of the road.

I can't remember when last I drove a car. It gives you a certain adrenaline rush and a chance to explore the new places and discover fresh sights and sound, and even the impossible.

My car sat in the garage untouched for months or years. I took pleasure in taking Blade's SUV for a ride instead. Now I know why he's obsessed with the vehicle. It's practical because of its large frame, versatile, a certain touch of ruggedness that makes it durable and superior handling;  you could drive through rough terrains with ease. It made you feel on top of the world.

Blade got a bunch of them parked in the garage with different colours. That man is obsessed, I tell ya.

The smile on my face falter as I glanced at the rear view mirror to see three Honda Odyssey driving behind me. Naturally, I would ignore it thinking it was just another car on the road but these particular ones were tailing me very closely.