Chapter 19

It's hard to give second chances. It's even harder to ask for them. Maybe that's why Tobias and I have been silent for so long.

We sit in his truck, parked in my driveway, not saying a word. My heart is pounding so hard I can feel it throughout my whole body. I hate myself for that. I hate him for that. I love him for that.

No one else makes me feel so anxious, but so safe at the same time. I didn't even know it was possible.

"Thanks for the ride." I mumble, and spill out of the car before I can stop myself. I don't want to spend another night, minute, second without sorting this out. But I still walk away.

I walk into my dark house, and lean against the door when it closes. My mind is still racing but I can't help looking out the window at him.

Tobias sits, rigid, evidently thinking of what to do. For a minute I assume he will leave. He'll drive away and we wont talk again except when obligated to. We'll be over.

He doesn't. He takes the key out of the ignition. He doesn't leave, he stays.

I race up to my room so he doesn't see me staring, even though he probably already has.

A minute later, my ringtone goes off. A text From Tobias. I notice I have other unread messages from Christina, but those can wait until later.

T: Come outside.

T: please.

I almost laugh at the second message. He never did well with "Please".

I walk downstairs slowly unlock the door. Tobias is sitting on the edge of the porch with his back to me. I walk over and sit next to him. Our knees bump together.

"I thought you would've left." I say.

"I already told you, Im not leaving this time."

"Im sorry." He says, before I can reply.

"Don't be," I reply "I was the one who ran from the car like a-"

"I don't mean for tonight." He interrupts me. "I meant for everything."

"you don't have to be." I mumble, but he keeps going.

"I shouldn't hace treated you like I did. Even when we were together, I was being too...possessive. I definitely shouldn't have expected you to for give me right away. I shouldn't have gotten together with Delainey the second I realized you wouldn't. Im sorry."

As he says that, something comes to my mind and I'm almost ashamed to ask. Im also scared to hear the answer, because I don't know which situation is worse.

"Did you.. Use Delainey to get back at me?" I ask tentatively.