Chapter Twelve

Kazimir was amused by Wren's choice of steed, but Wren was drawn to the white mare

Kazimir was amused by Wren's choice of steed, but Wren was drawn to the white mare. After being released from the horse, Kazimir led her out of her stall to be brushed. Wren left the Duke and her mare, Birdie, to finish the baskets with Harper and Hex. The girls laughed as they decorated, throwing ribbon and flower petals at each other. Wren had flower petals in his hair by the time they finished the baskets and it was time to dress the steeds. She brought Harper along with her then, too, enjoying her company. Harper stayed by Wren's side until it was time for the fake princess to change for her promenade.

Mumfrie's expression was dull, her eyes filled with exhaustion as she helped Wren into a different gown. This was the opposite of the simple gown she wore all morning and early afternoon. This one had a beautiful pink skirt with a red velvet top. It was a luxurious, glittering A-line gown that created rainbow sunspots when the light hit the jewels perfectly. It had spaghetti strap sleeves that tied into little bows on her shoulders. To match, it came with red slippers and a red bow headband that sat in front of her hair which had been put into an elegant crown bun.

Wren was baffled by how she looked in the mirror. "All this for a promenade?"

"Yes," Mumfrie yawned, placing a ruby cubic zirconium crystal necklace on Wren's chest. "I picked out a more extravagant gown for tonight's festival. If only the Prince could see you in every gown he sends. He'd fall in love with you each time."

Wren rolled her eyes. "You flatter me too much, Mumfrie. Are you certain this is not too much for a promenade?"

Mumfrie tsked her tongue. "My dear child, have you ever been on a promenade? You are meant to be seen on these leisure strolls, and there is no better way to be seen than in an extravagant gown sent to you by your future husband. You must make the immortals see you, princess Daphne, as a gem they wish to cherish for centuries."

Wren pursed her lips together. But I am not a gem being gifted to these people. I am their enemy's dagger.

With a heavy sigh, Wren gave Mumfrie a peck on the cheek. "Thank you," she whispered, the old servant's eyes beaming with life. "Now, please, take some time to rest. Allow another servant to help me tonight so you may rest your feet and mind. I met one servant girl who seemed polite. Harper?"

"Oh, yes, I know that child. But, it's my job—"

"Mumfrie," Wren laughs, "you are addicted to your duty. I am offering you a night off and you stubbornly are trying to refuse."

"I cannot help it, my highness. The only thing these bones know how to do is work. However, I'll consider your offer." She gave Wren a wink before disappearing.

Wren looked over again in the mirror before meeting the Duke at the front of his manor. The same type of carriage that picked Wren up from King Leon's castle was the same one about to take her and the Duke to the lake to meet the other aristocrats of the village. Kazimir held the carriage doors open while beaming up at Wren. He looked over her gown before meeting her eyes. His smile lifted higher on the left side. It made Wren's face heat up.