Chapter Six

It wasn't long before a round, short woman appeared in Wren's chambers

It wasn't long before a round, short woman appeared in Wren's chambers. She had a long, pointed nose, choppy silver hair, wrinkled fingers, and grey eyes. She introduced herself as Madam Mumfrie but said that Wren could call her whatever she liked. Her voice was sharp and quick, but there was an undertone of warmth, like a protective mother. Like Wren's mother.

Mumfrie looked Wren up and down and frowned. "Skinny," she said quickly like it was an insult. "We'll ought to fatten you up, princess."

"Mmm," Wren said, licking her lips. The idea of eating warm, heavenly food made her mouth water. Perhaps that was an upside to being princess Daphne. "What will be served tonight?" Wren asked and then paused. "Do vampires eat food?"

Mumfrie chuckled and shook her head, pushing Wren towards the bath. "As long as vampires stay on a healthy blood diet, they can still eat and drink human substances. Why, my husband loved human food. Had me cook for him all the time before."

"Before?"

Mumfrie paused, looking into the bath longingly. She cracked a small smile. "Mhm. We had four children together. He was going to turn me after our last child became of age, but . . . Well, you know how things go. Even the immortal don't live forever, it seems. Now," Mumfrie pulled in Wren's dress. "Let's get you washed for dinner."

Wren undressed and stepped into the tub. She flinched each time Mumfrie poured a bucket of hot water until the tub was filled. Wren had never had a warm bath before. The warmth of the water was otherworldly and she sank until the water reached her lips. Wren dozed off while Mumfrie bathed her, massaging her hair while soaping it up. When Mumfrie was all done, Wren asked for a few more minutes and stayed in the water until it was lukewarm and her fingers looked like prunes.

"Tsk," Mumfrie muttered. She brought Wren over to the sofa by the bookcase and began to comb through her hair while Wren dried off.

Wren had nothing but a blanket on her legs. It made Wren feel vulnerable but also free. She's never sat naked before and wondered if this was part of the royal privilege.

"Your hair is a beautiful color," Mumfrie said. "Like gold. Let's leave it down for dinner to show it off."

Wren tilted her head back and smiled up at the older woman. "Alright."

"Now, shall we dress you? Prince Caspian sent many beautiful gowns for you to wear. Come, pick one out."

He sent me dresses?

Wren couldn't help but smile as she looked over the many dresses, and Mumfrie said he was bound to send more. She said Prince Caspian planned on sending many gifts and letters to Wren and even had planned visits to see her. He was to come in one month on a business trip to visit Duke Kazimir, or at least that is what the public think. In reality, he's coming to see Wren, who is supposed to be Princess Daphne.

Only one month and I still have so much to fix about myself.

"Which dress would you like to wear, Princess Daphne?"