Chapter Three

The fabrics brushing against Wren's skin are foreign to her

The fabrics brushing against Wren's skin are foreign to her. Unlike her simple brown gown for work - and for almost every other occasion - the one she wore now was entirely different. This dress had about three different layers plus her undergarments. The top layer was smooth and silky. It felt as if a vase of water tipped and splashed against her, the droplets would merely run down her gown instead of seeping into it. Although, Wren didn't want to test her thought, for the dress was far too beautiful to be ruined. Its soft colors of pink with white lace around the cuff of her short, puffy sleeves and white embroidered flowers along the rim of her dress reminded Wren of her mother. It was a reminder that pained her heart.

The dress swayed softly as she followed three guards outside the palace. She had been locked in the King's private library until the Kingdom of Ghoul's carriage came for her. The day leading to the carriage was spent being bathed and fussed over. She smelled better than she had in months, like roses and lemon. Her hair was combed and placed into an upper bun with a few locks spun down from her ear into soft curls. Her face was decorated: red lips used with berries and a powder to make her pale face pink.

Wren couldn't recognize herself.

Butterflies flapped around in Wren's stomach as she followed the guards outside. A black carriage decorated with crow and bat carvings resting at the bottom of the steps where King and Queen Adam waited for her. Queen Adam's cheek was damp and she held a handkerchief tightly in her hands.

Wren walked down the stairs less than eloquently. Her feet were like two blocks of heavy iron as she stomped down the steps, her arms swinging at her sides. If it weren't for the guards walking on each side of her, she'd blow her cover in a matter of secrets.

I can't do this, Wren thought, bunching her dress into her hands as she neared the royals. But I have to.

She sucked in a tight breath and released her grip on her gown. She bowed her head towards her new parents before smiling tightly at them.

Queen Charolette Adam broke into sobs. She wrapped her arms around Wren, dripping her tears and snot on Wren's sleeve.

"My daughter," Queen Charolette said, choking on her sobs, "Thank you. Thank you, and I'm sorry."

Oh.

Wren's eyes widened in disbelief. She slowly wrapped her arms around the Queen, finally understanding the tears. It was guilt but also relief. Instead of Daphne being sent away, it was Wren. The Queen's daughter is being spared. Unlike Wren, Daphne didn't have to say goodbye to the people she loved. Not anymore. Not thanks to Wren.

Wren squeezed the Queen tightly. She was trying to tell her that it was okay. Wren did not hate the Queen for being a mother and wanting the best for her daughter. In that same way, Wren did not hate King Leon, despite his harsh actions and words. They loved their daughter. They want to start a war for her. A love like that comes with sacrifices; unfortunately, the sacrifice was Wren.