A true leader✅

TORKAN POV

A few hours have passed since I saw her. For my human side, there was no discussion about priorities, but my animal side, my wolf side, urged me to look for her, but despite my need to have her close, I was also concerned about the current situation of the pack and how this could affect her. Warriors obeyed Vastos' word, as beta but his administration was poor and, with the war closer, it was more imperative than ever to have discipline and organization.

My new goal was clear, to replace Vastos as a beta. However, it was not as simple as overthrowing an alpha who only had to assassinate his predecessor, inherit after his death or in the case of my brother, both.

Killing the beta chosen by the alpha was considered a betrayal that was paid with death, so he had to be selected as such by the alpha.

I had convened the pack council to address some issues, since in a couple of days I would have to send my first pack report to the new alpha, my brother, Belkam.

Vastos' irate calm became obvious when he noticed that he had called the council without telling him, and more so when he saw that he had added participants to the council without his consent.

"A vampire, the priest's son and a human.... I'd like to know what went through your head when you messed up Lord Torkan table like that", Vastos asked in an icy voice that was at once threatening and calming, yet the anger that burned inside him was apparent.

I found it hard not to react and impossible to apologise.

"Lord Talo is one of Countess Lyuba's favorite consort kings, invited as a representative of the vampire clan with which we have an alliance". I stated calmly. "he is a master in the art of thermoreception, echolocation and balance, could be useful against the hybrid packs"

"The future priest, obtained weaponry, medicines and necessary resources that will help the precarious situation in which you have the pack" I continued, and then added more softly, enjoying his rage boiling up. "And he brought me the change from what was left of the bag of gold I gave him"

"The human is in fact a licensed physician from the city of Ojedas, who came voluntarily to train our few inexperienced healers" I interjected angrily and then added almost too quietly, "he's here to fix the mess your warriors left in that alley."

"And as a peace tribute, the head of the warriors, who was almost killed was the only reason why the dragon lord has not joined Castien's ranks, is here", I stated in full anger "Your son, Neith"

Vastos gazed at us with a tumultuous blend of anger and perplexity before finally breaking his silence. "Allowing a human to tend to the wounds of the lycanthropes!"

"If you possess a superior strategy, beta, now is the moment to disclose it," I asserted firmly. "This is not a juncture for internal disagreements."

He fixed us with a piercing glare for a moment longer, then let out a heavy sigh. "Let us redirect our focus to the matter at hand."

The remainder of the meeting transpired with my detailed reports and the others around the table delving into logistical concerns, while Vastos absorbed their words with a contemplative silence.

As I prepared to adjourn the gathering and dismiss everyone, a sudden commotion erupted outside, emanating from the quarters of the newly arrived warriors of St. Guinnefort.

It was not an assault by foes, but a clash between our warriors and reinforcements themselves. The echoes of their conflict hinted at impending turmoil, stirring fear among our pack members.

Through the faint connection I still maintained with my former pack, I could discern the anguish and rage of the newcomers encapsulated in a single, potent word.

"Matе."

With the arrival of numerous warriors in unfamiliar territories and the subsequent discovery of new she-wolves as mates, the sense of trepidation unwittingly projected by our new allies alerted their bonded partners, who instinctively rose to defend them.

The seeds of war had been sown, and we were already faltering in its wake. Despite my status as a Warrior Lord and the prohibition against wielding my alpha aura, I knew I had to intervene before tragedy ensued.

In a swift and decisive motion, I vaulted through the window and soared toward the battleground, unleashing my commanding presence to quell the chaos and instill a sense of unity among the combatants.

The usual sense of danger dissipated, replaced by a collective feeling of reassurance and, for the first time in a while, a recognition of leadership.

Initially met with resistance, Dr. Daxa encountered challenges in treating the mates of a group of possessive wolves. However, his unwavering dedication and profound knowledge of both human and supernatural medicine eventually won over their cooperation and gratitude, earning him newfound admiration and respect among the pack.

From the solitude of my secluded chamber, I could hear the distant sounds of new bonds being forged, as my comrades embraced their newfound loves against the advice of the medical staff. Envy tugged at my heart, even as I found solace in the knowledge that my own beloved remained safe from such entanglements.

A gentle rap at my door tore my gaze away from the window, hoping for a moment of uninterrupted contemplation. To my surprise, a familiar figure stepped inside.

The tall man, draped in a long coat, his collar turned up in a gesture of mystery.

"Please, take a seat," I offered courteously, motioning to the empty chair by my desk.

He settled into the chair with a heavy sigh, a weight of unspoken burdens resting upon his shoulders.

"Why did you return the remaining gold?" I inquired, seeking to fill the silence with idle conversation, aware of the truths left unspoken.

"It was not mine to keep, my lord. But that is not the true reason for my visit," he confessed softly.

I arched a brow in curiosity. "Indeed. Pray, reveal to me your connection to the dragon bride."

"She is my twin, my lord," he murmured, his gaze fixed upon the floor.

The serendipity of fate struck me with a profound sense of wonder. My beloved, whom I cherished beyond measure, shared a bond of kinship with this stranger.

"I would lay down my life for her," he declared.

"And I would do the same, though neither of us shall meet such a fate," I replied resolutely.

A bittersweet smile graced his lips. "I wish I could profess surprise. She has always drawn good souls to her."

"A good soul?" I echoed, a playful grin dancing upon my lips.

"What of Lord Aldrich?" he interjected, steering the conversation in a different direction.

"I intend to negotiate with him regarding my union with your sister," I divulged, a hint of amusement coloring my words.

"You may count yourself fortunate if Lord Aldrich does not seek your demise," he warned, a shadow of concern clouding his features.

"He has waited centuries for her," he murmured cryptically.

"What do you mean?" I pressed, hungering for answers.

"I fear I cannot disclose that information just yet," he evaded.

I shook my head in disbelief. "I demand to know now."

He met my gaze, sorrow etched upon his handsome visage. "Patience, my lord. All will be revealed in due time."

At that moment, a snow-white owl swooped into the chamber, brushing against the young wizard's hand before spiriting him away through the open window. The owl vanished from sight, leaving me in a state of bewildered contemplation.

An idea blossomed within me. "I must seek out the truth for myself."

Among the array of titles that cluttered my desk, one in particular caught my eye. The final line jolted me upright, though I knew it was an exercise in futility.

DRAGONS ARE EXTREMELY POISONOUS. SACRIFICES OF YOUNG VIRGINS TO DRAGONS, STORIES OF INMINENT DEATH.

Should anyone dare to offer my beloved as a sacrificial lamb to the dragons, they would have to reckon with me first.