Under his gaze✅

June POV

"Where do you think you're going?!" His voice echoed in pursuit of me, but I paid no heed, propelling myself forward, leaping onto the rooftops and bounding effortlessly from one to the next until I reached solid ground. Without a moment to spare, I pivoted and caught sight of him, hot on my heels.

My heart racing, I slipped into a nearby pipe, his relentless wolf clawing furiously at the metal bars barring his way. I ascended the pipe, distancing myself from his enraged howls, his futile attempts to follow me marking his frustration.

"Oh no, no no no no no no," the words slipped from my mind like a prayer as I climbed higher and higher. My pulse quickened as my feet finally found purchase on the roof, and I dashed off, my limbs carrying me swiftly down the alleyway. I raced past countless homes until I came to a halt at the forest's edge. With a graceful leap, I descended to the ground below, the soft thud of my paws barely making a sound.

The need to evade any other wolves compelled me onward, my legs propelling me tirelessly until the frozen river lay before me in the distance. With a resolute pound of my paws, a magical ripple coursed through the water, shattering the ice. Plunging into the frigid depths, I submerged myself completely, emerging moments later gasping for breath, my body shivering uncontrollably.

Once more in possession of my human form, I rejoined with my feline counterpart, the agile tail granting me added strength and warmth. Numb from the cold, I trudged back towards home, only the slightest movements in my nose, ears, fingertips, and tail betraying my frozen state. The familiar sight of the house came into view, and I spotted Gran waiting by the doorway, her concern evident.

"Your dress, what happened to it?"

"It vanished," I mumbled faintly, hoping to evade further interrogation.

The whirlwind of emotions-overwhelming, exhilarating, perplexing, and terrifying-left me reeling, an experience unlike any I had encountered. Upon entering my sanctuary, I retreated to my chamber, slipping into a cozy robe before collapsing onto the bed. Willow nestled on my chest, her presence comforting as I drifted off to sleep. Despite my desire to remain ensconced in this moment forever, the harsh reality beckoned.

He was here now, and his inevitable discovery of my whereabouts loomed ominously on the horizon.

Torkan POV

She fled with the speed of a wild animal, her legs moving with a desperation that echoed through my very being, urging me to follow in hot pursuit, as if the mere thought of losing her again after all this time was too unbearable to contemplate. Through the gates she dashed, past the flickering street lamps and into the shadows of the night-shrouded streets. She had to be nearby, I was certain of it. The only other place she would seek solace was in the dim recesses of town where light dared not intrude, and it was there that I knew I would find her, for it was the same place where our fateful encounter had taken place.

We neared the slave quarters, her unique fragrance lingering in the air, guiding my steps with an invisible thread. I followed the scent as closely as I could, only to witness her vanish around a corner, leaving naught but a lingering trace of her presence. Then, as if the very air had been rent asunder, a sharp cry pierced the night.

My eyes widened in shock as I beheld a woman sprawled upon the ground, her body rent open by a gruesome wound that bled profusely. Her gaze, filled with a silent plea for salvation, met mine as she pressed a trembling hand against the gaping wound. I could not allow her to perish, even as my heart remained steadfastly loyal to my mate. Drawing closer, I beheld the grim tableau before me, a scene of untold horror where injured women lay strewn amongst the deceased, their suffering unnoticed by all save myself.

Anger flared within me, a raging inferno that threatened to consume all reason. I summoned my warriors swiftly, directing them to summon a healer without delay. Returning to the wounded woman, I found her lying prone, her body failing her as blood seeped steadily from her grievous wound. Her vacant gaze met mine, beseeching me for a reprieve from her agony. I shook her gently, yet her eyes remained fixed upon some unseen specter, her visage etched with the torment of her suffering.

When the warriors arrived, the son of the priest spoke urgently, imploring me to remove the injured women from their dire circumstances. Their callous words cut through the air like a chilling wind, and in a surge of righteous fury, I seized one of the warriors by the collar, his face contorted in shock and disgust. I demanded action, refusing to accept the callous disregard displayed by those around me.

As the warriors hesitated, their fear palpable, I released my hold on the warrior, who crumpled to the ground gasping for breath. Ordering them to transport the wounded to St. Guinnefort's tents, I turned to the priest's son, my tone firm and unwavering. I commanded him to fetch the town's healers, casting aside any notion of prohibition or restriction. My rage burned brightly, a tempest that brooked no opposition, and I made it clear that any who dared defy my will would suffer the consequences.

His essence intensified in response to my veiled threat, and he cast me a tremulous nod. At that precise moment, a familiar scent wafted toward me, enveloping him in the delicate aroma of sweet roses. It wasn't merely a lingering fragrance; it emanated from within him, accompanied by a faint tingling sensation that rippled through my hand upon contact with his skin. Such a notion was preposterous, surely a figment of my weary mind grappling with the impossible.

Releasing him from my grasp, I observed as the warriors dutifully carried the wounded women to safety.

"Upon your return from the human village, attend to my chambers," I commanded, tossing him a small pouch laden with glistening gold coins.

Under the weight of my unwavering gaze, he swallowed hard before swiftly nodding and darting away to carry out my instructions. As I watched his retreating form, I sought solace at the nearest table, my head cradled in my hand as I endeavored to regain composure.

A tempest of emotions raged within me-fury, confusion, frustration, weariness, hunger, thirst, the alternating sensations of chilling cold and searing heat besieged my senses.