Chapter 11: The Trainer School

Last chapter saw Nicola fight a losing battle against Corey, another member of the cohort who left Littleroot Town, in Rinshin Town, while we ended on a cliff hanger after James showed the others a flyer for… something.

Chapter 11: The Trainer School

Rustboro City, Hoenn

10:48am, 13th April 2006

There had been a brief cheer as James, Richard, Nicola and Will had passed a big sign by the side of the road welcoming them to Rustboro City. The route in from Rinshin Town had become gradually more urbanised as they'd been walking, so there was no doubt that they'd been approaching their goal.

Unfortunately, as James had quickly pointed out to the others, Rustboro City was a big place and they still had a long way to go before they were in the centre.

"I don't suppose they decided to put the gym closer to here, did they?" Nicola had asked.

"No, it's pretty much in the city centre," James had replied. Apparently, that was to make it more accessible to trainers coming from all different directions. And it could have been worse – it could have been located in the far north of the city.

There was another reason why they had to make it to the city centre as well…

Rinshin Town, Hoenn

5:51pm, 12th April 2006

"…What is it?" Nicola looked at the flyer James was holding out.

"Ooh? Some kind of battle tournament?" Richard grinned, reading the words at the top. "Taking place in Rustboro City the day after tomorrow, starting at noon."

"I figured this would be a cool way to get in some practice before we challenge the gym in Rustboro," James explained. "It would give us a chance to get to know our pokémon better and to fight all kinds of different trainers from around the Hoenn region."

"Sounds like fun!" Nicola nodded. "I'm in!"

"So am I!" Richard added enthusiastically.

"What about you, Will?" James asked.

"Sure, I guess," Will replied. "It would be nice to get some proper battle experience while I'm here."

"That settles it then!" James grinned. "Let's get to Rustboro City as soon as possible tomorrow and register for that tournament!"

Rustboro City, Hoenn

12:23pm, 13th April 2006

"…Huh? You've already registered the maximum number of participants?"

"That's right," the young woman replied, bowing her head in apology. "I'm really sorry."

The group were standing in the lobby of a large stadium in central Rustboro, talking with one of the receptionists. It turned out that the tournament had been very popular and all the available slots had filled up before they'd arrived. It was disappointing, to say the least.

"Don't worry, it's okay," James sighed as he backed away from the reception desk and turned back to the others. "Sorry, guys, looks like we can't take part after all."

"And they're even out of tickets for spectators as well," Richard added.

"Well, I guess that makes sense, given how many people are around here," Nicola murmured, glancing around. The lobby was pretty busy, but the streets outside were filled with countless other trainers too. The tournament had probably drawn every trainer in the north of Hoenn.