Dainsleif - Little Birdsong

A soft breeze greets your skin and makes the leaves rustle. Otherwise, everything is quiet as it can be on a meadow full of bees and birds. Nature's white noise in mind and the smell of grass in your nose, you sit down next to Dainsleif on the picnic blanket you brough with yourselves.

"Normally when I go outside like this, it's always to fight some kind of monster. It's nice to have some peace and quiet for a change."

You break the comfortable silence with a random thought running through your head upon settling down. The two of you had met by chance a few days ago and due to Dainsleifs tattered attire at the time, you more or less forced him to take a break from whatever his mission was to come relax with you for just one afternoon if he could spare.

It seems like your worries are more important to him than the determination to continue his quest was strong, so now here you are, baskets full of food and snacks in the middle of the nearest plain you could find uninhabited by monsters.

"It would be a lot less peaceful without all the fighting, for sure."

Your companion agrees, as vague as always. With a cheerful hum, you plop down on your back and enjoy the sun for a while. Neither of you like to talk much, so both of you know that silence doesn't mean awkwardness, but rather blissful enjoyment of the moment.

As you close your eyes for a while, something gets in between you and the sun, dropping a shadow over your face. When you get used to the brightness of daylight again, you see one of the sandwiches you packed dangling right before your nose.

"I heard your stomach grumbling. You better eat something too."

Dainsleif mumbles, seemingly embarrassed from admitting to pay such close attention to you, even though at this point in your relationship it wouldn't be weird at all.

His unusually pink cheeks mixed with this sincere stare he wears taint yours as well and you try to grab the little snack from the air while scrambling to sit up but with your gaze locked onto that expression you so rarely get to see the lack of focus on your motions make you almost drop the layered bread on your face, causing Dainsleif to quickly turn away in an attempt to stifle a laugh.

Now that it's your turn to be painfully embarrassed about nothing at all, you bite into the sandwich and let Dainsleif have all the fun laughing at you in his head as he wants. Luckily the fresh taste of salad mixed with various types of handmade cheese and sausage slices quickly fills your head with more enjoyable thoughs.

As the space for food in your belly slowly decreases, you remember that you brought an item with you on the trip, one that you've been meaning to show Dainsleif for a while now. This peaceful little adventure is the perfect timing to show off your newly aquired skills on the harp, even though they are mediocre at most for now.

Kaeya had been a great teacher, and when he offered to teach you a song he wrote himself, you were more than eager to learn it.
Grazing your fingers along the strings, eliciting a few notes from the instrument, you gain Dainsleifs curiosity. Before he asks you about what you're holding, you shush him to perform.

"Just listen."

Even though you are the one playing and even though you have already heard the same song over and over again, playing it here in this moment, next to this lone traveler that you're happy to call an acquaintance, you feel like this is the first time you actually understand the feelings poured into the piece.

Between strings being tapped, tones in various pitches forming a melody, the sounds of birds tweeting and leaves rustling mixes into the song, blurring the line of what is played by you and what is not.

Soon it feels as if the lyre is playing itself and you risk a glance over at Dainsleif, who is... crying.

"Dain...?"

Your worried voice softly puts a stop to the performance, mid song. The man opposite of you doesn't react until you scoot closer, dragging him from his thoughts back into reality. Placing your hand on his cheek, he leans into your touch while biting on his lips to stop little sobs from escaping.

"I know this song..."

Is all what his shaky voice brings forth before dying down again. You can't tell if his tears are happy or sad, but the way he doesn't try to hide his emotions tells you that he's at least willing to share.

"It's a childrens song from where I was born... I haven't heard it in so long. It reminds me of my home but... in a good way. Mostly."

Dainsleif explains and you finally understand his tears origin, as well as curse Kaeya for yet again deceiving you as per usual. You're sure he planned an outcome like this, but you're not entirely sure if he deserved a thanks for it.

The sobs slowly end and tears dry as you caress Dainsleif wet cheeks in a soothing manner. He leans in more and you guide him to lay into your lap where he curls up comfortably around you. You can feel his breath steady while stroking his back as he finally calms down.

With a hoarse voice but a much lighter tone, Dainsleif asks.

"Can you play it for me again?"